1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What is my best portrait lens I currently have?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Dec 23, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I would like to ask you what would you consider the best portrait lens (at which stop) for portrait shooting?
    My gear list says:

Minolta 50mm 1,7
    SEL18-55 (I guess I can use it at around 50
    Minolta 25-85 ((I guess I can have it at around 50)
    sigma 30mm (with the 1.5 crop factor that gets close to 50mm)
    Minolta 45mm 2.2

I would like to thank you in advance for your recommendation

Regards
    Alex

2. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Alex, you don't mention if you have a full frame camera but if so my recommendation from those choices is to use towards the 85 end of your zoom as it might be the most flattering for your subjects. If you have a NEX then the 50mm 1.7 might be my choice for that task. I'd use an f stop that isolates the subject from the background. It depends on the light available and other factors. Can you experiment with them beforehand? I'm hoping others with more portraiture experience than I will advise you as well. I'd like to see your results.

3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I indeed have a nex.. I thought that 50-75 mm are okay for portraits

4. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    You are good to go then.

I think 85mm to 135mm on FF is considered the usual portrait range but you can take a portrait with almost any lens. Depending on how close from the subject you are there will more distortion with shorter focal lengths. However, some of that can now be corrected in post processing. I've used DXO Optics Pro to good effect in this regard but ideally you want to use the best lens you have for the job.

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    50 /1.7 at f2.8 to 4. But don't be afraid to use it wide open if needed. There's more to it than just focal length. Standard zooms don't typically have greatest bokeh. Plus the prime is going to be much sharper at same aperture.

That 45 may be sweet too, don't have any experience with it. But 50/1.7 is one of my favorites (and I have more than one to prove it).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1