What is going on to the introductory model?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Nov 13, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I am an owner of the nex-f3, and if I recall correctly the reviews I was reading they were commenting that this is very capable camera in terms of iso performance/given the cost.
    I recall me spending 300euros to get one from saturn at a special offer...

Now a friend wants to also try the nex series and is looking for the introductory model.

Nex-f3 is not there anymore and the nex3n is... but I recall that the nex 3n has worse iso performance.. On the other hand the nex-5 series is about 300 euros more...

Is there any other alternative for around 400 euros if not the nex3n? I guess at the end she would have to buy the nex-3n... Any recommendation on which kit lens? Should she go for the power zoom or get some other lens to start?

Regards
    Alex

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Why not a used one? You can get a used 5N for 400euro...

3. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I don't know about worse ISO but the 3n has a worse screen and no accessory port. If you look you may be able to find a 5R on clearance (same as the current model without WiFi) for only a little mrs than 400 euros.

4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex

No accesory port?? I hope still you can change lenses... Why they have !"§"! up the introductory model so much?

A

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have the F3 and love it, but it is no longer a "New" camera.

You can find many online for around $300.00.

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh people ... stop buying cameras just because there's a tenth of a stop difference in high ISO noise ... I shoot a NEX-5 for three and a half years now which has half a stop worse high ISO than any current NEX, yet I shoot 90% of my photos at or above ISO 1600 and I, or anybody who looked at my photos, never complained that they are noisy (click on the link in my signature to claim the opposite ;)).

Really, if you buy a NEX camera now, the image quality will be the same no matter which model you are buying, so just buy the one with the feature/price combination that fits you best.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I think F3 was too feature full and not small enough, so Sony must've felt it was eating into Nex 6 profits without appealing to more P&S shooters... Pure speculation.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Not appealing to P&S upgraders? Possible. Eating into NEX-6 sales? I doubt it. No EVF and a plastic body are not the things people buy a NEX-6 for.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I would agree. The F3 and 6 are very different creatures.

The way Best Buy displays the NEX's is very telling. The current Sony NEX endcap display has the 5N and 6. The A3000 is on display with the regular DSLR's and the 3N is mixed up in between the rest of the point and shoots, (3N is no longer for sale).

10. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I could care less about the plastic body, and EVF can be added later if desired. The IQ is the same, built in flash is the same (a huge thing if you are into portraits), and if you're just starting to get into the system it makes more sense to get F3 with some lenses and add EVF later. I think F3 was very underrated. I had both.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Still, the 6 doesn't cost more than the F3 with EVF, and it offers all this in a single package, with electronic first curtain shutter (which is probably the feature I miss most in my 5 after EVF and better controls), PDAF, WiFi, Apps, mode dial, additional control dial and a real hot shoe. If you don't need any of these features, good, but still it's kinda bold to say the F3 eats into NEX-6 sales.