What I learned about A7rII dynamic range...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dmward, Aug 11, 2015.

1. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    ... by making a blunder.

I stopped in a village center on my way back from a meeting at just about noon. Sun was out, I had camera set to Av mode, and I thought Auto ISO, with aperture at F8.0. That's my default for walking around with the 24-240. Long story short; I quickly discovered that the ISO was set to 12800. I discovered that when a 2EV bracket all looked over exposed in the EVF. After discovering my error, I redid the shot.

Then, when I got home I had a look in Lightroom and decided to see if I could "save" the over exposed image. Here are the results.

I'm including the full frame and 100% crops of both versions and also the LR develop settings. Sharpening and everything else is at default.

First the 12800 ISO image:

100% Crop

100 ISO 100% crop

100 ISO image:

Lightroom Develop settings:

This is not a recommendation to be careless with camera settings. [​IMG]

But is does illustrate how well the sensor is able to handle extreme Expose-to-the-Right. And how little noise is present even at the extreme ISO.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    High ISO's and a brightly lit scene aren't bad. But all the noise, as seen here, will be in the shadows.
  3. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    ^^ For sure.
    My first reaction to this was how the image responded to pulling down the exposure. 2EV reduction and there are no blown out pixels. I've seen several references to how people prefer to under expose a bit because the Sony is better with controlling noise in shadows and less able to tolerate over exposure.

This was shot at high noon bight sunny sky, back lit, and the sensor absorbed the dynamic range from specular highlights to deep shadows without a problem, even when over exposed dramatically.
  4. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    2EV in the highlights is a welcome improvement. I can sometimes pull out a stop from my A7 but it is easy to clip in one color channel.