What happened to NIK with my Sony images?

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I have been using NIK Software for years - in fact, I bought it from Google within a few days of Google acquiring the rights to that software.

I have been using is seamlessly. It has always appeared on my drop down filter list UNTIL TODAY.

I was on a photo shoot and shot several hundred images of a couple of models with my Sony A6500. I shot the images in RAW and opened them in through Adobe Bridge and Adobe Camera RAW as always. The images open with the Suffix .ARW.

Tonight when I tried to use Photoshop to edit one of these .ARW images, NIK was not in the drop down menu of filters. This is the first time that it has happened whether I was shooting Canon or shooting Sony.

I shot a few additional images with the Sony and opened them in Bridge - Camera RAW and then tried to edit the .ARW images with NIK but, no NIK appeared on my Photoshop filter drop down list.

I then shot some images with my Canon and what do you know I could edit the CR2 images using NIK. It appeared on the drop down filter list as always.

Then I made a final test by shooting some images with my Sony and then opening them through Adobe Bridge / Camera RAW (AS ALWAYS) but, this time I converted the images to Adobe Digital Negative (.dng) as I used Bridge to open then. What do you know - when I brought the .DNG images into Photoshop the NIK filters appeared on the filter list as always.

I have two questions...

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE .ARW IMAGES WHICH, IN THE PAST I HAVE ALWAYS USED NIK TO EDIT AND HOW CAN I PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING?

CAN I USE NIK TO EDIT THESE .ARW IMAGES EVEN THOUGH NIK DOESN'T SHOW UP ON THE DROP DOWN FILTER LIST FOR THESE .ARW IMAGES?

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I use LR and Capture 1 Pro and I can use NIK to edit the *.ARW photos, it does appear in the drop down list, but I don't know why you can't anymore, I must admit I've never tried selecting NIK from Photoshop.

johnson4096

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Dan Johnson
My NIK plugins (the last "free" Google versions) are working with Photoshop as well as they always have. I have found that sometimes when there is a Windows update that I have to reinstall the Sony drivers into Photoshop, but that take maybe 1 minute. After that everything works again.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom