What got me excited...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AlwaysOnAuto, Sep 18, 2016.

1. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    ...about the FM2 I found on Craig's List awhile ago, are a couple of things.
    Besides the lens, the shutter of the camera itself. For youngsters this may be hard to fathom, but for someone who was around when they first came out it was a thing of mechanical marvel. A shutter that could fire at 1/4000 of a second and it was all mechanical. These came out shortly after I'd already bought my FE after much convincing of the wife. Of course GAS set in almost overnight once they hit the shelves.
    Now days that speed isn't saying much, but back then it was the cat's pajamas.

DSC06283.JPG

DSC06282.JPG

DSC06285.JPG

Thanks for letting me share these pictures. They were taken with my A7ii w/Micro Nikkor 55.

• Like Like x 12
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Excellent find.
    BTW, cool coffee mug. :D

3. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks Will, guess it takes an owner to spot the mug. :coffee-26:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Killer camera, gotta love the titanium shutter curtains.
    I'd really love to shoot one of these old babies with a modern 24MP FF sensor. No chimp-screen, menus or other BS. Just the original controls, battery + meter, card slot, RAW only - everything else in post. Oh well ...

5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    For $6,000 (body only), the Leica M-D 262 will do just that.

The Leica M-D 262 Review with 28 Summilux f/1.4, part 1 by Steve Huff

6. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Thanks, Chris. Quite a revolution (in the literal sense) but I never really bonded with my ex- film Leicas and would still prefer an SLR.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I can see putting the sensor guts from an A7ii into the body of the FM. Might be kind of hard to integrate the manual controls with the electronics of the IBIS but I'm sure some electro-mechanical genius could figure it out.
    I'll have to take some comparison shots as the bodies are not that much different physically in size, believe it or not.

8. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Funny what a few months will do when there's so much happening.
    Today I stopped in at the local camera shop after having my teeth cleaned at the dentist. They have a Nikon 2x extender for sale. I'd looked at it on a previous stop-in and liked it. So, today I asked if they'd take the FM2 in trade for it.
    Here's my reasoning (I feel a need to talk/write to people who are 'into' cameras about this, thanks for baring with me).
    The FM2 is just sitting, in a cabinet, collecting spiders (hopefully not, but you get the idea, it ain't bein' used). I figure if I could get the 2x extender I could pair it with my 300mm f4 lens on my Nex-7 and get 900mm of reach with it (or on my D7000 too). I really would like to get some nice shots of the moon, without having to travel down to my son's house to use his telescope.
    I know I was excited to get this camera, but, I also know I won't be using it like it deserves to be used either. Rather let the shop take it and make a little coin on it as they've been there for me when needed, but I haven't spent a lot of money there lately either. I don't mind passing some of the goodwill along as I got a killer lens from the deal I made which got me the camera in the first place.
    What do you think?
    Oh, the shop said they'd take the camera, no problem.

9. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Regular

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    The only argument against doing the trade would be, if you did in the future decide to more fully commit to going back to film photography then you would already have a camera ready to go. Otherwise go for it. Life's too short etc.

10. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    The FM2 isn't the only film camera I have Mark. It is the last one that I purchased.

11. sven karma

sven karma TalkEmount Regular

Oct 5, 2016
    mark evans
    Well, unless you got a lot of lenses you can only use with it ...

I've bought stuff off eBay I've later part-ex'ed at the local-ish camera shop. Directly swapping something you're using less for something you plan to use a lot more is a satisfying feeling lol

12. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    • Like Like x 1
  13. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    A few!!! :roflmao::hail:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    If I could all of a sudden afford to shoot film I would be, but since I can't, I'm not, much as I'd like to be.

16. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I have one of those, too. :)

17. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    We should have a 'mug shot' thread.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. michealj

michealj TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 2, 2015
    Blaine, MN
    Selfies?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Coffee 'mug' shots. ;)

20. soeren

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Could be fun if I had one but I just got mugged ;)

• Funny Funny x 3