1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What focus peaking shows me?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Dec 18, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I would like to ask you how focus peaking works.

depth-of-field.
    If I understand it right from the image above I start getting acceptable focus a bit before where the focus is fixed. If I understand that correctly focus peaking might be getting that point (in front of the optimal point of focus). In that case when the first red dots appear (red set for color peaking) I should keep turning the focus ring a bit more to reach the optimal point of focus.

Do you agree with that or not?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Regards
    Alex

• Like Like x 1
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It depends about situation. In many cases you want your object to be as much in focus as possible and the rule is to have maximum focus about 1/3 from front (for example eyes work fine in portraits, eye is about 1/3 from nose to ears) of object. In many cases you want well focused part of image in the front or back of object.

3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Focus peaking isn't necessarily showing you exactly where the focal point is. Focus peaking is showing you regions of high contrast in the image.

You can be focused exactly on a low contrast subject and not see many focus peaking lines. You can be a little off on your focus, but a high contrast subject will show up as peaking (this happens a lot with hair).

Its really best to use it only as a guide, and use the magnify function where possible.

• Like Like x 2
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Your right about the contrast. It is showing the highest contrast in the image.

Magnification is handy, but not always possible, especially when subjects are moving.

The lower the aperture number, the more difficult this becomes. Also in dim light this can also be challenging.

However, once you learn and tweak the settings to your liking, manual focusing via the peaking feature becomes second nature.

5. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I still have problems with all my legacy lenses and have quite many shots slightly out of focus. The weird is that a high aperture does not work very well with peaking even though depth of field is larger, while a small aperture makes it easier for peaking but very shorts depth of focus, so easier to miss subject slightly

6. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Focus peeking is ok, it should be called contrast peeking

7. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet;