What Flash Defuser do you need?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Bonaprof, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Bonaprof

Bonaprof New to TalkEmount

Jan 1, 2015
    Which flash defusers have you found to work best with the Sony HVLF43M?

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I use lots of flash diffusers (but not with HVLF43M). They are cheap so no need not to have many.

For light stand use umbrellas work fine. I like the diffused reflective one best.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/33-Photo-St...02?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3374d93d16

As the previous is too long to carry in shoulder bag I have Godox 60cm*60cm foldable softbox:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/60x60cm-GOD...497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fbaf1b19

Lambency ones are great for interior lightning:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lambenc...77?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f0a315339

The soft covers are great when travelling:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lambency-Fl...008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d2d20cb8

Foldable small softboxes are great for on camera work:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-x20cm-Fl...92?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item33946138c8

Besides these I use a reflector made from 3mm acrylic sheet bend to a spoon shape. Takes very little space, are easy to make and very cheap to make. It seems that no one makes big foldable ones.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  4. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    Making a small light source big requires size.
    The links provided, including the strobella, very in size from not much bigger than the speedlite to quite large.
    The small ones are mostly a waste of money. The larger, especially the umbrella soft boxes like the Godox example are useful modifiers for speedlites. I use them often.

5. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
  6. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Lambency units are very useful while small. They don't make the light source larger but they make the source omnidirectional. That means that lots of light will bounce out of walls and ceiling. Bad point is that they will take lots of light.

8. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    To me anything you put on your flash it does not really help... Especially if your subject is three meters away or more just use a bare flash..since modifiers of this size make no difference.

For me be the bestis to be able to take your flash out of your camera axis at an angle.. or bounce the flash in a surface that would give that direction to your light.

Do not die with modifiers.. just buy one and try to see what it does.. The more modifiers you buy the less brain you have about creativity

9. dmward

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    David
    They are useful in certain situations. Too often they are misused by pointing the head toward the subject.
    As noted, by making the speedlite a bare bulb unit its much less efficient. I my view, bouncing off a wall is better since it creates a large source and also makes the light directional.

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    True but if the subject is further away from the camera however big the flash modifier is gonna be (I am talking about the modifiers that attach on flash) it would be still a point light source.

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that lambency units are ok if used for interior photography if you just use a single unit. With people using a lambency for general lightning and second unit to light the subject is much better option. Lambency units take lot light. 2 speedlites with gn of 50 is about minimum for a space larger than a large living room.

Ceiling and walls have one great disadvantage and that is you can't move then around. Something like 30 degree lightning angle demands quite a long shooting distance. I wonder where all the dual head flashes have gone? They were quite handy in the old days.

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    No. If your on flash diffuser is 25cm*25cm and subject is 2 meters away it isn't a point source anymore. It will reduce shadows away almost completely. Light will be of course uneven and direction of light is not very good as it on same axle as lens.

13. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    That is what I wrote above that distances over 3 meters all these modifiers are going back to light sources

14. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren