1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What filter size?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jazzer, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I have a 49mm 3 stop ND filter and a 46mm Polarizer (from an old point and shoot), but both are too small for the 16-70 (55mm) that I purchased not long ago and the polarizer is too small for all of my lenses (most are 49mm) except the kit lens. Since I have to invest in new filters, what size should I get? Do I go for 55mm because that is the largest I have now, or do I go to something like a 77mm so I have my bases covered if I get something larger?

Also any brand suggestions? I currently have Marumi filters and they seem pretty good.

2. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Unless you're going to get a step-up adapter or manually hold the filter against the lens, you have to have filters with the exact same thread size as your lens - not larger. If most of your lenses are 49mm, I would at least get what you need in that size - and maybe one in 55mm for your other lens. Filter brands are all over the map, but I like Hoya for a good value to quality ratio. You can go much cheaper and more expensive, but they're pretty decent. I don't have any experience with Marumi, but i'm sure others will chime in!

-James

3. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Thanks,

I use a step up ring now when I am using the filters I have on the kit lens. That is a much less expensive solution than buying filters for every size lens. That is why I was asking what is an appropriate size. If I were to buy a 10-18 lens sometime down the road, for example, I prefer not to have to buy a set of filters for 49mm, a set for 55mm and then have to buy yet another set for a 62mm lens, etc. I can't know what other filter sizes I may need in the future, so I am just trying to figure out what people do.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The largest common filter size is 77mm. There are lenses with larger filter rings but they are fairly rare for most users. You can buy filters in several sizes or you can buy one set in 77mm and use them on 95% of the lenses out there.

Having said that, I did spring for a 49mm ND & CP because the Sony 18-55/55-210 take that size. I also use rangefinder lenses w/39mm filter threads and I step up to 49 for those. A 77 looks ludicrous on those tiny lenses. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I use 72mm becuase that's the largest size lens (SELP18105) I have. I use a step-up ring for other lenses. You should consider that when you do this, you can no longer use your lens hood. This has hurt me in the past.

• Like Like x 2
  6. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Since all my lenses are Sony e-mount and majority of them are 49mm, I have one 49mm to share amongst them.
    I also purchased a 40.5mm dedicated for the SELP1650.
    I ordered 72mm for the SELP18105G.

I usually buy B+W MRC 010M, Nikon NC or Marumi Super DHG for my Nikon lenses, but have purchased Hoya Pro 1 for the 49mm & 72mm.
    The 40.5mm is a Marumi Super DHG.

Any of these 3 brands will be good for your filter needs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There are always 77mm screw in lens hoods you can use, solid or collapsing. ;)

• Like Like x 1