1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What files do you save your work as after editing processing is done

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jcasillas08, Apr 20, 2015.

1. jcasillas08

jcasillas08 TalkEmount Regular

May 29, 2013
    Well might sound confusing but I'm still new to photography and do notice when you save your photography (in jpeg) after photoshop or lightroom you lose a lot of quality in the image when you post it on different sites. I have read different articles and watched a few youtube videos where people save it as a png file to not downsize the image but it's also a huge file. Facebook is one of the major notorious ones that downsize files but I do see some pros who still are able to post amazing sharp high quality photography without any distortion. Same question goes for making your photography into prints. Thank you!

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't believe the quality differences you see on sites vs your original is based on the file format being jpeg. There are many more factors like most sites apply their own compression, sharpening and other tweaks. I have loaded the same image to 500px and flickr and saw different results. Now I sharpen less for 500px than I do for Flickr. I also sharpen differently if I am printing vs showing on screen. IMO - the aforementioned factors are more important the file format.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Many questions....
    I have not much time so shortly
    1. When I process my files (I only shoot raw) and if I need to call external programs I save as tiff
    2. For facebook you have to export for specific resolution and file size for facebook to alow you to upload on high quality. To be honest (for me)it is not the quality that renders a shot interesting. If you have a messy shot...whatever you do afterwards does not save the game

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    You are right on that. So basically I'm looking at the wrong things and focus more on image size allowed on the sites?

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am not sure what you want to do? Share with friends ? Share online? Edit without data loss?

6. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    All the above sr. Especially when I sent something to get printed. I would like a crisp sharp image but don't get what I save when I send it out.

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Well lets take then sharpness... Its an issue itself. Try to remember that photography is a process that does start and end at the press of the button.
    If you want "sharpness" you have to have a "good" focus, an appropriate processing (i.e a noise removal process will trade off sharpness to take out noise). Appropriate exporting it... and so on.
    Can you give us some hint of your workflow?
    Do you shoot just jpegs? How you process them? How you export them?
    In case you want to share on an x web site (i.e facebook?) just google it "Facebook uploading images in high quality"
    Regards
    Alex

8. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    Thanks for ur help and replies. I shoot raw and do my editing on photoshop cc.
    I shoot anything that interests me. These are some. I save them on jpeg after processing

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Facebook wise the best quality method is to reaize the image to 2048 on the longest side and upload to an album from a pc and checking the high quality box. Never from a cell or a tab (including an ipad). Facebook uses different compression depending the source of upload

10. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    The first one of the car has a ton a half of compression

11. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    They all three do. The file sizes range from around 50KB to 250KB and have lots of jpg artifacts when magnified on my screen. I wonder if they were posted at this resolution and aggressive compression or if the forum recompressed them.

12. jcasillas08

May 29, 2013
    Bringing this back up. After doing some research on compression it is best to do 2000 on the long side for canvas and 1600 on long side for portrait. One I just did and they are coming out great! DSC03562J.