What does the field of view of the 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 look like

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
People often wonder if the Sony 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 is long enough for bird photography in general. Basically, wile it may be adequate for images of larger birds, it is not quite long enough for smaller birds.
Here is a shot of the bird feeder in my yard. I don't have a lot of cover to get closer to the feeder than I did with this shot at 70mm (105mm equivalent)
Become a member for free to remove site ads and see EXIF info for images.

Even at 350mm (525mm equivalent) IMO the lens is not quite long enough to be an effecive tool in shooting small birds like this finch...

My solution in this case would be to place the feeder in a location in which I could approach closer.
There were no hummingbirds feeding at this feeder but, the 525mm gives a relatively large image of the feeder and, at a closer focusing distance, even at f/6.3, the BG can be blown completely OOF.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I mounted this lens on my A7iii - it would shoot in APSC format and give me about a 10 MP image. I have never thought that would be an advantage...

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
You can force it to shoot in full-frame (menu option), but then you don't get the crop factor advantage of course.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
This looks to be a static subject (bird feeder) on your property. You can set up the a6600 and lens on a tripod, cloak it in a sheet or camo blanket. Situate it where you get the close up shot desired. Then remotely shoot wirelessly from indoors with a view of the birdfeeder. The old Playmemories could do this via WiFi. Don't know what the latest Sony app has.

DaveC

TalkEmount Veteran
........ The old Playmemories could do this via WiFi. Don't know what the latest Sony app has.
Sony Imaging Edge Mobile, also works for remote camera control. Just make sure that it is set to shoot RAW. In my early days with the A6000 I shot several night shots remotely, and even though the camera was set to RAW + JPG, or RAW only the remote shots were JPG only. I can't remember where in the menu I found the setting, but I do remember having to set the software to shoot RAW.

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
In my bird shooting career I went through a seies of progressively longer lenses and concluded that about 600mm FE was the price of admission while 750-900mm was desirable especially for. BIF.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I've always found that the solution is to get closer. Sometimes that means you have to mount the feeder on your hotshoe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom