What do you think is the biggest advantage digital has over film?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I've not progressed much yet, but I have made it a goal to better organize my digital photos, convert negatives as desired, see to it they will have a way to get the digital content if desired, and print out the most significant photos I think my children will appreciate having. Whether it will go beyond that is just too hard to say. I only hope I live long enough to get all that done - it will be time-consuming.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
You still can
Indeed. I can't remember the last time I did.

But a friend still keeps albums to track personal history and events.

I spend half my life in front of a screen. I am absolutely at home with computers. I preferred a keyboard to pen or pencil even before I moved on from manual typewriters. But there is something about those albums that is a lovely way of catching up.

Of course, she is now printing from digital files. Digital gives us the best of both worlds. And allows me to see her photographs from 4,000 miles away without doing painful stuff with a scanning machine.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Indeed. I can't remember the last time I did.

But a friend still keeps albums to track personal history and events.

I spend half my life in front of a screen. I am absolutely at home with computers. I preferred a keyboard to pen or pencil even before I moved on from manual typewriters. But there is something about those albums that is a lovely way of catching up.

Of course, she is now printing from digital files. Digital gives us the best of both worlds. And allows me to see her photographs from 4,000 miles away without doing painful stuff with a scanning machine.
I recently was tasked with going through all of our family photos from the 70-90's and making digital copies. About 650 all togeather

1- A long process involving a bit of a set up that took up 1/3 if by desk for about 3 months.

2- It was great seeing images I have not seen in decades.

3- I was able to (while still keeping the original file) clean up some of the poorly exposed ones (my dad tended to overexpose) and make much more useable photos

4- They all were uploaded to a shared photo album so that any of us can access them at any time

5- I take within a year easily three times as many as the entirety of our families photographic record spanning two decades.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I have the family slides. No idea how many hundreds. Have had then since my mother's death in 2006, and scanned some precious ones back then, but now they have been sitting unattended in a humid tropical atmosphere.

I wish they were digital!

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I have the family slides. No idea how many hundreds. Have had then since my mother's death in 2006, and scanned some precious ones back then, but now they have been sitting unattended in a humid tropical atmosphere.

I wish they were digital!
Get on that. It's kind of a fun project to do. And a perfect time to do it if you are stuck at home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom