What do you store your gear in at home?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pworden, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Cabinet? Dry boxes? Drawers? I'm redoing my space and thinking cabinet. something for tripods and lenses and... Interested to hear what others do.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Personally I just keep them in my camera bags and just toss a few silica gels in there but always wanted to buy a electric dry cabinet box

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Ditto. A couple of older Domke F1-X bags with silica packs.

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I don't live where humidity is any issue. Gear stays in camera bags, extra lenses in cases, plastic boxes and shelves. Tripods/monopods are stored in their included bags.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hell... My gear is scattered all over the place. Bags, shelves, drawers... I think I left some of it in that cheap motel in Ely, NV.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Humidity in my home in The Netherlands hardly ever exceeds 70 % and my gear sits in drawers, bags, cupboard shelves etc., so it's only somewhat protected against dust. No rusting or fungus so far, apart from what was there when I bought some old lenses. And before you say I should keep that fungoid stuff separated from the rest: fungus spores are everywhere, when the conditions are right for it, fungus will grow, period.

7. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I'm looking for a cabinet with a tall space on the bottom for tripods, studio stuff, and extra camera bag then a couple of shelves for the rest, preferably with glass doors. I do keep one bag packed and use it most of the time. Right now the room where I keep everything gets cluttered quickly and I have a cat that likes to jump up on the table and walk around it all. Jerk.

8. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Bags, drawers, shelves, under bed, on dining table......well just about every where driving my wife crazy.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
  10. Nino Xerri

Nino Xerri TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2016
    Nino Xerri
    Cameras & Lenses in 3 different sized bags all with Silica Packs along with Tripods, all living happily on a shelf inside a cupboard.

11. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Mostly in bag and case with silica packs all over inside. But I just moved to a new house, so most of my lenses are sitting in the basement (finished) on a table where they will sit until I can figure out where to put them all. My BF has a A6000 with a bunch of lenses too (yay we get to share!), so we need to figure out a "Camera room".

• Like Like x 1
  12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I did this a while ago as I had just a random pile of lenses and accessories clogging up the underside of my bedside table.

New lens box

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB TalkEmount Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    Bob
    Probably something we don't think about but should is theft from a break-in. Gun safes are not terribly expensive compared to what most of us have in equip. I have one of these in mine to control humidity.

GoldenRod® Dehumidifier Rod : Cabela's

You could also put one in a simple metal (locking?) storage cabinent.

• Like Like x 3
  14. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Hmm Yes probably. I can't stand the thought of having to compensate the burglar for the back injuries he suffers from trying to carry my photo gear out of our house :)

15. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

On shelves. I also use silica gel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Here in the tropics, 80% humidity on average, I keep my gear in an electric dry cabinet.

17. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I recommended affordable tool boxes and steel tool roll-aways (in Dave's thread).
    Wheeled, lockable, drawers, and a large space below for tripods and lighting gear and reflectors.
    Harbor Freight sells some decent quality models at relatively low prices.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bernie

Bernie New to TalkEmount

Jul 12, 2016
    I Crochet there for i am crocheting a drawstring cotton bag :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Well, that's original!

• Agree Agree x 1