1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What do you do for work?

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Yohan, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Thought this might be a fun idea to share photos and learn about what we do.

I'm currently working on two online courses and working full time. Life is busy. I'm a Certified Pedorthist Technician in Canada. I'm continuing my apprenticeship to become a Certified Pedorthist Clinician. As a pedorthist, I would assess our patients' biomechanics especially from the hip down. Our job is to provide solutions to improve their conditions or injuries. We would see anything from athletic injuries to diabetic ulcers. Diabetic ulcers need to be offloaded to heal. This is key in avoiding amputations.

Custom made orthotics are a part of our job. Here in the photo, I made a plaster cast of my friend's feet. Tomorrow, I will press a shell material against the casts to continue fabricating the orthotics.

8490530989_056b7bcc25_b.
    Plaster by FA43LTD, on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I work as an instructional technologist at a small university. The current project I'm working on as part of the transition team to a new Learning Management System (LMS). It's software students and faculty can use for course work, discussions, group work or whatever else they wish. It's not mandatory to use it but we do have quite a number of faculty that do use it as it gives them a another tool to engage students. I do training and tech support. I also teach freshman classes in the Fall and work on independent projects.

Not really sure how to photograph that...I'll see what I can come up with

I also do THESE...
    The Stimpson Reserve on Vimeo

I am creating a series of videos (most shorter than that but it was for a specific organization) to get folks off their butts and outside. Even though I'm an environmentalist I don't like preaching to the choir so my approach is a bit unconventional and I like to appeal to a more diverse audience. I believe that conservation comes from the fundamental idea that we will preserve that which we see as part of our circle. Folks don't see the wilderness as related to them because it's "somewhere way the heck out there". I think if you need to get folks appreciatng what is right in their back yards first. I show you my back yard, you show me yours and we have a connection. Conservation doesn't need to be something that is enforced from the top down, it's better to grow it from the bottom up.

3. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    Kevin, we're really not too far away in the Pacific Northwest. I wish the university I'm currently taking courses with has your LMS. The one we use isn't very intuitive.

I love the "Do Not Run" part of the video.

4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I work in a university thinktank. My desk (wherein 99% of my work is done - the other 1% is in meetings even though they probably take up 40% of my time :p) is rather unremarkable and messy.

5. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Well, my job is more unspectacular...
    I'm working in the sales department of Europe's largest developer and producer of Fire Ladders (and Fire Trucks)...

6. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    Just a plain old electrical engineer

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm a, er....housewife! In a previous life I was a legal secretary in Wills & Pobate, and family law clerk to the Courts. :)

8. jarvan

jarvan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 27, 2013
    Czech
    Jaroslav
    I studied mechanical engineering and environmental engineering. All the time but I work as a fireman (3 generations, my son 4-generation). 21 years ago I started as a firefighter, I am now the commander of the Fire and Rescue Service District Decin (Czech). I love my job, I would not change.

Fire2.

Markus , I look forward to the new ladder :)

9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Until January 18th I was a ramp dispatch for Air France's short haul flights in Charles de Gaulle airport (Roissy CDG).

ed9c028aecfaa0856b1170ca0c8364df_04f.

Then the contract was sold to another, larger corporation, which instantly started to give us misery to get rid of a maximum of people, since we were well protected, qualified and paid. Over 300 of us went on strike.

5f20f6db37cc611f60bd58f33eda1173_e39.

We had to face the anti riot troops and their teargas (I didn't get touched as I was in the back, photographing the whole thing). I know the National Security guys filmed us the whole time !
    4f83b5d7e2f8b2ef73b96c10e3e321ee_e39.

128643d9554c379b43bc062ef688ebce_8d9.
    That was me in the winter. Climatic conditions are terrible on the airport

0c2b3f84756791c55c39853241575df2_650.

I'm at home until I figure out all the paperwork and succeed registering for a year of training in totally different branch of work. And to be honest, enjoying it so far ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Police officer since 2000 and recent respiratory therapy school graduate and volunteer fire fighter.

Weed.

RespiratoryTherapy_zps3db5784b.

fire2.

Attached Files:

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am programmer (C#/C++/..) but have masters degree in physics (large scale simulation systems). Major interests in life in plants, cookery, books and especially comic books.

12. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Symphony musician.

13. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Here in Bellingham we consider Vancouver the closest big city instead of Seattle (plus it's a lot more fun).

When were were filming "cougar safety" part of the video (the part where I throw the stick) freezes on the the stick in mid throw because it took a weird bounce and I hit the camera man with it. He camera spins arounds, the camera goes tumbling and all you hear is him swearing up a blue streak. I felt bad but I also laughed so hard I nearly passed out.

14. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    That's a sweet photo, Jaroslav. I have a friend who recently became a firefighter. He obviously doesn't have much experience as you (21 years vs 1 month). But he says the same thing. Wouldn't change a thing.

Good series of photos telling a story! That teargas photo is quite "real."

15. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    I took an AP course in programming in high school. Wasn't a good idea. My mind doesn't think code. Glad there are people who do.

16. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    I build web applications -- I'll spare everyone a pic of a computer and a messy desk :)

17. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Ladder...

Found some pic to share too...
    And of course +1 for "Voluntary Fire Fighter" :biggrin:

Attached Files:

18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, I won't. :p

[​IMG]

I work out of my house as a patent illustrator, sitting in front of these screens and creating the drawings of inventions that end up at patent offices all around the world. I got my degree in theatre arts (some 34 years ago), and started dabbling in graphic arts when I found out that the acting business is just like any other business, except that it pays a lot less. My wife is still an actor, though, and is about to open in King Lear here at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival this Sunday, where she's been a company member for 18 seasons now. When she gets acting gigs out of town (she's worked in London, Chicago, San Francisco, and La Jolla), I can just pack up my computer gear and go with her. If I have power and an internet connection, I'm in business. Plus, I have a 20 sec. commute, I can work in my underwear, and all of my clients are at least 300 miles away. It's a pretty damn good life.

19. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Well David, it sounds awesome !! I'd love to see your wife play Shakespeare, for sure :) My husband has been doing his computer work out of our home for a little over a year now (when he kissed his boss good-bye and launched his own business) and though he puts in quite a bit of hours, he's ecstatic. I've always been around home, my dad was a comic book artist, my mom, sister, and I, journalists (I did that for a couple of years), etc. Working at home has its downsides, but overall I love it.

20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What instrument(s) do you play? And where?