What do you do for a job?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Kiwi Paul, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I don't know if a thread like this has been raised already so sorry if it has.

Just thought it might be interesting to see what you all do to earn a crust.

I work offshore on an oil platform in the North Sea 3 weeks on 3 week off. I'm the telcoms tech.
    It's a good job but can be demanding and is quite a tiring job, both physically and mentally especially after 3 weeks of working 12 hour shifts (6am -6pm).:boohoo:
    But the 3 weeks off is great and I always enjoy that :2thumbs::biggrin::drinks:

• Like Like x 9
  2. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I have a nephew who works on oil rigs - both onshore and offshore - in and around the Gulf of Mexico. I always thought it was hard work but a very interesting and cool job.

Me? I'm a lifelong broadcast journalist, having been a news reporter on radio and television, a news anchor on radio, a news director in radio and a station owner (small market) in radio. I have also spent many years as a producer, writer and editor in television.

Despite the long hours and hard work - both of which were always required - it used to be considered a glamorous field. These days? Not so much. And the pay has always been uneven.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I'm a laboratory technician working primarily with HPLC in QC for a vaccines company. What you would call a 9 - 5 ish job

• Like Like x 3
  4. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    9 to 5! Lucky you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Well think of it like Rambo meets John McLane, S.H.I.E.L.D, Outbreak and James Bond where I singlehandedly prevents one more and more evil bioterror attack after the other and finding the cure for new deceases that makes Ebola look like the common cold.

You couldn't be further from the truth. It's actually very much routine tending to be boring with Great Many Papers and documentation galore. ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    GAS station manager.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Sucofni

Sucofni TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 8, 2015
    I build stuff. Mostly out of heavy dusty hard materials. Currently working in the north west of Scotland and Cumbria. Previously worked extensively in the south and west of England. Bath Bristol, Southampton. It's an ok job in good weather, but winter can be hell. Originally an apprentice served mechanic. But the lure of the outdoors won me over. My body is now paying the price !

• Like Like x 4
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    4K.

For the past 26 years I've worked at home as a patent illustrator. Patent attorneys send me rough sketches of whatever their client thinks in patentable, and I redraw them according to patent office specs. It's not exciting work, but it sure beats having a boss (other than my wife). :laugh:

She works as an actor here at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and occasionally gets work out of town in places like Chicago, Berkeley, or La Jolla, and once in London. And as long as there's power and an Internet connection there, I can just pack up my gear and tag along.

The best thing about my job is that every few years I get to tell my clients that I'm going off to another part of the planet for a while, like last year's three-week trip to Patagonia. And most of them have stuck with me.

• Like Like x 8
  9. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I grew up in a popular local family restaurant business of which I have many fond memories. For a variety of reasons, I switched to IT in 1990. Since then, I have been a software developer, IT consultant, web developer, systems administrator, and for about 8 years now I have worked in business intelligence. I assemble information from all kinds of sources into a hopefully cohesive, useful database for enterprise-wide analytics. Did this for government for a while, including a transparency project I was rather proud of, but now I work for an established oil field services company working in the Bakken oil fields of North Dakota. When I can, I also enjoy playing live music venues on keyboards (preferably piano).

• Like Like x 4
  10. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I have to ask, do you really manage a gas station and this was a bit of a pun? Because I took it to be a jest about Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
    I meant no offense if that was not the intent - and if it was then I thought it was funny so I left it rated as such.

11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I've been a software developer and a technical jack-of-all-trades for about 16 years; before that I had jobs as a mathematics teacher, electronics engineer and manager. Last year I became redundant when the company switched systems and decided to transfer the related administration and development activities to external parties. I was offered a suitable settlement and will slide into retirement if I don't find a new job (being almost 63, finding a new job isn't very likely).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  12. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    I became redundant, similar to Ad, back in 2012. Once the unemployment ran out I decided enough is enough and retired. I worked as a manufacturing engineer building satellites. If you have DirecTv and are in the northern US hemisphere you're probably watching a signal off one I helped build, but most of the others I worked on I'm not allowed to talk about. I can say they all help catch bad guys and keep us all safe.
    David - what kind of desk chair is that? I'm about due for a new one and that one looks pretty comfortable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    If I told you, I would have to kill you....ONLY KIDDIN' :hide:

I graduated as a Civil Engineer but early on in my career worked for Brown & Root UK (a Halliburton company) for many years in the UK. Came back (?) to Malaysia to be the General Manager of a pipe testing & commissioning company in the Oil & Gas business before starting and running my own M&E engineeering company 13 years ago.

During the lean years (there have been 2 in the last 15 years) I would occasionally shoot corporate pics for company annual reports and product shoots for local companies. I have also sold some of my b&w silver gelatine prints, mostly to local companies which they display in their boardrooms. Up until 6 years ago, I was still printing on my Saunders 4x5 enlarger (my late father had a darkroom eversince I was born).

• Like Like x 5
  14. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Seriously, I do manage a gas station, subshop, Carwash. I'm from Cleveland the land of blue collar workers.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Good of Kiwi Paul to have started this thread. At least we know each other better now/insights into the working lives of fellow forum members of Talkemount.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    Hey, I've worn blue collars before too. I worked as a machinist for 5 yrs before getting into the paper work side of things.
    My BS in Biology really helped me out a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  17. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    45 years Information Technology...started out in direct technical support, then managing various technical support operations units...30 years with IBM, 15 years with a State agency here in the US.
    Retired and enjoying photography as pretty much a full time retirement hobby...my wife and I will celebrate our 50th in July.

• Like Like x 8
  18. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    40 years in downstream oil (that's oil refining) for one of the "Majors". Chemical Engineer by trade. Now retired 8 years

• Like Like x 4
  19. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I come from biophysics and medical/optical engineering (worked for Z.... for a while :laugh:), have been running my own engineering office for too many years, got fed up with the system and dropped out but will open a new research kitchen this year.

Next please ...

• Like Like x 4
  20. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Ken, you worked for Z.... before? Wow! No spare lens elements, etc lying around somewhere...to be given to the needy? :D

• Like Like x 1