What did you like about your a7ii over your a7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 14, 2016.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I just sold my a7. I didn't really bond with the camera for a couple of reasons, so I put it out for a "what would it take to get me to sell it" price, and someone bought it.

So question -- for those who went from a7 to a7ii. What did you find was REALLY an improvement. Not what are the specs or theoreticals, but was there anything where you were like "I'm so glad I made the move"

Specific use cases is much appreciated :)
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I pretty much gave all of the reasons for my switch in this thread, WT21. So rather than rehash them all, I'll give you the top three: IBIS, IBIS, and IBIS. :D
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. michealj

michealj TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 2, 2015
    Blaine, MN
    I agree with Serhan and David. IBIS. I would not have kept the camera with out it. I did not have an A7, but do have the A6000. I like it and wanted to try FF. I chose the A7II specifically over the A7 because of IBIS. It works well for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    IBIS is a good reason, but to me, also important, are the better build and ergonomics. It feels much better in my hands.
    I still have the A7 for tripod use.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Neftun

Neftun New to TalkEmount

Apr 24, 2015
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Tried zooming in and manually focusing any legacy lens on the a7? The image wobbles terribly, it is next to impossible imo. On the a7ii, the image settles and is stable. Magic of IBIS;)
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    I don't have the A7II, but supposedly they fixed the sensor reflection issue caused by the sensor stack. This is well documented and happens mainly at night with bright light sources. Well NYC has a lot of bright light sources. I drove to the city to shoot for the first time in a while and I went at night. Boy was I frustrated at the images when I got home. Green/blue orbs everywhere they shouldn't be. As someone that mainly shoots native AF lenses, this is the only reason I want an A7II. To bad it's for a defect fix and not a feature.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Yannis Marigo
    Fully agree with Gary. Add to this a more up to date firmware allowing uncompressed RAW...
  9. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    Mark II's AF is definitely better. Shutter is also a quieter as well.
    a7 is still a fine camera when equipped an OSS lens.
  10. sdsyver

sdsyver Here to Learn and Enjoy!

Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    I have both. I use the A7II most of the time for its image stabilization and over all feel. I find the A7II focuses faster too. I use the A7 with my stabilized lenses. I still like using it. It has the same sensor so you can't really tell the pictures apart.