1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What Canon FD lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Dec 8, 2015.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    i picked up a Canon 50/1.4 SSC recently and was quite surprised (pleasantly) with the images. I'm a Minolta fan...or perhaps more accurately NOT a Canon fan but the 50 SSC has definitely gone a long way toward changing that. If I were to pick up a second FD lens what would folks recommend? I'm a big fan of 28mm but my Nikon 28/2 AiS is going to be tough to beat. To me a lens that can get reasonably close is a huge plus.

I have been wondering about the 24/2.8 SSC or perhaps a 35/2? Any suggestions?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Have the Canon FDn 24/28/35...all excellent as far as I'm concerned.

And another consideration...after picking up a Canon FDn 24-35/3.5-L...it's become my main go-to lens for those focal lengths...IQ is outstanding and the utility of the zoom is very convenient.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

They're both good. FD lovers swoon for the 35mm f/2 with the concave front element, but all versions of the lens are quite excellent.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  4. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I'm a fan I'd adapted zooms. My Minolta 35-70/3.5 macro and 35-105/3.5-4.5 macro are both terrific

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Nice to see how good the f/1.4 SSC can be. As for a 28mm, I have their 28-f/2.8 S.C. And can vouch it's a pretty good lens. But I don't think it's in the league of your AiS.

6. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    I have both and they are great lenses. The 24/2.8 used to be my main lens for landscape and architecture. U can't go wrong with them.

7. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I figured as much. I also looked at the 24/2.8 SSC but I already have a Minolta MD 24/2.8 (the 55mm version) and I hardly use it. For whatever reason 24mm on APS-C doesn't do much for me so I don't see the point of getting another 24 unless it does something that would fit with what I like to do (like a short MFD).

The 50/1.4 was a bit of a surprise. I actually return it at first thinking it was decent but not much differ to than my other fast 50's. It wasn't until I was going back through the images that I realized it really was a lot better than I had thought at first. Luckily the local consignment shop where I bought it still had it around when I went back.

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    You mentioned APS-C...the recent Canon FDn 17/4.0 UWA I picked up is turning out to be great on my NEX-7...something else to consider rather than just another lens in the range of focal lengths that you already seem to have pretty well covered.

9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I was wondering about that. Specifically I was looking at the 20/2.8

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I intentionally skipped past the 20 to the 17 to truly get an UWA...worried if I only took one step to the 20mm I'd always be second guessing myself about not getting the 17.
    Using the 17 on my NEX-7, the (APS-C) field of view of the 17 is about like a 24/FF...very glad I went this route and it seems to be a very good lens...that's just me / my purposes, etc.

11. jayt90

jayt90 New to TalkEmount

Dec 20, 2015
    I've been buying FD mount lenses for several years for my mf T90. The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is a classic, and I use it as a walkaround, or a foodie lens, in a restaurant, no flash.
    The Canon 35 - 105mm f/3.5 is a highly regarded varifocal. The constant aperture f/3.5 is often more useful in low light than Sony's kit zoom which is f/5.6 maximum in the 35 -55 mm range.The Canon has a 1.5 stop advantage, and is slightly sharper, better corrected.
    I recently acquired a Canon 100mm f/4 macro SC, part of a $35 eBay package of 4 lenses (also included a Vivitar 200mm f/3.5, a Sigma 28mm f/2.8, an enlarging lens, and two others). Not tested yet, but they will be useful in smooth focusing for video and still close ups with focus confirm.
    I have a Tokina autofocus f/2.8 11mm - 16mm f/2.8, EOS mount, which I hope to adapt to the a6000 using manual focus and (probably) a fixed aperture, f/2.8, but that may work out OK for all the ultrawide I do.
    I'm always looking for mf sleepers in FD mounts from Vivitar Series 1 and others; but now I can get them in other mounts, and adapt to Sony e mount.

dixeyk, I haven't answered your question, except to say that FD lenses are always well made, and often excellent optically. My 24mm f/2.8 happens to be a Carl Zeiss Jena, made by Sigma, and it has been excellent, for a lot less money than the Canon version. Either version will be dirt cheap now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    For which camera? :D
    Sorry couldn't help it.
    Personally I find the step from 35 to 50 too small and the 28 mm a bit boring so my vote goes to the 24mm. I always felt comfortable with the 24, 50 and 105 combo first on 35mm nikons and now, to my surprise, also the APS-C format though now adding the 12mm samyang. Seems like Im ending up with a 12, 24 and 60mm(native) kit but Im already debating whether I should ad the 50mm Sony or not.

13. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

The 24mm/f2.8 SSC is one of the nicest 24mm lenses I've tried on APS-C, together with the 24mm/f2.8 Ai(s) Nikkor, the SEL24f18 and the 23mm/f1.4 Fujinon. Back in the day I've shot most of my stuff with that FOV but I'm slowly moving towards 28mm.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Too funny...

Well at the moment I have exactly ZERO cameras with which to shoot my adapted lenses (although my son said I could borrow his 5n if I need it). Of course that wont be a permanent condition so I'm still interested in folks opinions.

15. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well at some point I was shooting exclusively Canon FD lenses so I can mention the ones I found great.
    You already have the 50mm although I had like 5 FD versions to find my favorite of all as of course with old lenses, copies can vary a lot.
    The 35-105mm F3.5 mentioned earlier is a great lens for sure and a fan favorite.
    The FD 200mm F2.8 was pretty nice although a bit softer wide open than I like but still usable wide open.
    The 400mm F4.5 was very nice as well and very cheap for the performance you get and speed though not quite as good as L glass as some people comment in my opinion.
    The FDn 35mm F2 was very very nice although on the soft end when wide open for my taste, at 2.8 was already much sharper.
    The 100mm F2.0 was a lovely lens. Again, softer than I like wide open but very sharp at 2.8 already and just a darn nice lens.
    The 300mm F2.8 (my favorite one and still own it of course) is just a beast wide open with amazing CA control as well.
    The 24mm F2.8 was a nice lens but mostly the center. My copy was pretty week on edges.
    The 20mm F2.8 just like the 24mm, pretty nice wide open and my copy actually had pretty good sharpness across the frame when stopped down so nice for landscapes.
    The 14mm F2.8. Only tried it on APC-C with a booster and had week corners but likely due to the adapter.
    Those are some I have used.
    Regards

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Just picked up my first FD 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C. Love it. Some quick ones. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453050039.215383. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453050050.012223.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 8
  17. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 @ f/2 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453257219.007632.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 5
  18. sam

sam TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2015
    Ontario
    sam
    I love my 24 f2.8, saw it by fluke at Henry's Camera. They didn't know they had it in the used bin- they had some Pro looking or one earlier, for video work. I got it for cheap, no marks on it.
    I normally use Minoltas lenses, and have a wide range of MD glass.

Now, I am getting in FD and just picked up a very nice FL 50 f1.8.
    So, depending on my mood, I will use either.
    I'm finding the manual glass more fun to use than my EOS glass on my NEX 5R

Hope to get a FF Sony at some point, to make this glass really show what it can do.

19. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just sold mine, my Olympus OM Zuiko 24/2.8 is decidedly better so no point in keeping the Canon FD 24/2.8.

20. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    If you want a super fast lens on the cheaper side, the Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 is pretty good. Picked one up last year and it is very usable wide open on APS-C if you can nail focus. I paid about $150 for mine. Not the smallest lens but still reasonably sized.