1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What cameras & lenses will YOU buy next year?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Poki, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    2012 is almost over. It was a great year, both for the NEX-system and me as a owner (as I was able to buy the 24mm CZ lens :)), but now we get one more year to cover our gear needs.

We pretty much know what is coming the next few months. Short summary:

- NEX-7 successor
    - NEX-F3 successor
    - CZ 12mm f/2.8
    - CZ 32mm f/1.8
    - CZ 50mm f/2.8 macro
    - Sony "mid-tele" G-lens (sth between 60 and 85 f/1.4-1.8)

Of course there's plenty of "old" stuff that's still great! So, what do you plan to buy?

I still struggle to decide ... With some luck and saving up I could possibly get 2000€ to spend on camera gear, so I could get either the 12mm + 50mm lens or one of both + the NEX-7 successor. I really start missing an EVF, a AF/MF-button as well as faster controls with my "ancient" NEX-5, but I need both of the mentioned lenses to complement my 24mm CZ ... Any advice? ^^

2. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    I just decided to trade in my NEX 5R for an NEX 6, which probably won't arrive until next year, so I guess that might count. I dithered a bit about whether to do the 6 or the 7, but decided to go with the 6 with an eye to maybe finding a killer deal on a 7 body as a spare when the next one comes out.

I've probably got what I need for vintage glass already (a couple of Vivitar macro zooms, a Tamron mid-range zoom and a Pentax 55mm 1.8); I'm still after a 55-210mm Sony, and would love to have one reasonably fast OSS/AF lens in the 100mm-ish range if one should appear at a reasonable price.

3. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Voigtlander 15mm, and maybe the 21mm as well. Then, I'm done.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I'm on a gear diet for 2013. I did load up over the past few weeks but I'm going to try and make it 12 months with no new (and that doesn't mean "used" is okay to buy either) gear in 2013. If I wasn't on a diet it would be the M-Rokkor 40/2.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Just got an F3, so I am good on that front.

The only lens I am considering is the 18-200mm.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Still waiting for more native NEX lenses so until they're released, perhaps the SEL3518.....

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Surrrrrrrrrre ya are. LOL

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ummm... CV28 if I can find one. Maybe a CV12. Possibly a SEL1018. A fisheye if I decide to sell the Pentax FE zoom I have.

That's enough I think.

9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I am very interested in E- mount 50mm or 35mm f1.8, in fact, will see that in the first month of the new year, I hope to get it on my birthday, as I waited for Santa and has not arrived yet.

I'm thinking of selling the nex5R and buying the Fujifilm X-E1 .... I like the retro style ..

10. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    SEL35/1.8 seems the safest bet next.
    Of course, it's likely an XE-1 with 35/1.4 will make it to my house before 2013 is over ;)

11. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I bought way too many cameras last year (5!) so ideally none in 2013, but that said if I spot a too good to resist bargain price on a new Nex F3, 5N (if there are any still around!) or A57 I might pick up one as an upgrade to the models I already have (Nex 5 and A37). Also need to sell a couple of my m43 cameras and lenses (just keeping the G3 and 3 primes: 14, 20, 45). New rule is no new gear unless I sell something to replace it. :) I mean who needs 6 cameras anyway that's just ridiculous (even if all of them cost under £300 and 2 of them cost less than £100) - will keep the ones I use most often (Nex 5, A37 and G3).

12. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Ya, you got me. Those are at least what I currently know I want ;)

13. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Saving up for the FF e-mount, whatever they decide to call it & whenever they decide to finally release it. I'm mostly set for lenses, though I do reserve the right to lose my composure & raid any craigslist/yard sale/eBay scores.

14. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    : O

15. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    The full frame NEX when it comes out, may not be in 2013 though.
    This full frame NEX rumor and the not so good AF, actually make me think twice about buying any e-mount lens. The adapted lenses are so much more fun.

16. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I agree! Though the SEL24 is good enough, some folks seem to prefer it over equivalent FF solutions. It may indeed survive in my arsenal for the long haul (along with my only other e-mount: the Sigma 30mm - never going to beat that for size and detail rendering).

It's a bit awkward that news of the new FF may hurt Sony's current lens sales. But I wasn't too keen on any other cropped e-mounts, anyway. Since I'm saving, it would probably behoove me to put aside a good chunk toward at least one FF e-mount lens - those won't likely be cheap.

17. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, I told myself to go the medium format way after I grow out the APS-C NEX system, so I'm not gonna spend any penny on full format gear. IMHO the NEX-7 with the Zeiss 24mm lens (and hopefully the next E-Mount CZ lenses) puts out results good enough for me for the next couple of years.

18. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I will most likely replace my Nex-5 for a (used) 6 or 7 (and would also love a 18-200mm if I win the lottery, lol :D)

19. korn_2956

korn_2956 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    I did and im extremely happy i did. It takes a little getting used to but once you do your in love. The menus make sense, there's a dial or button for everything and it feels like a real camera which was my biggest grip about my 5n. Now I'm saving up for the to be announced x20 for 2013.

20. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I only have a NEX-6 for a few weeks now, so I can't really predict how seriously I will invest in the NEX system, considering that I also have a pretty good set of µ4/3 lenses. Like others, the bad AF and other annoyances make me cautious. Apparently a Zeiss 12mm is in the works, so if I'm going to invest I'm thinking of getting that one if it's any good, I don't see myself using a CV 12/5.6 with its colour shifts.