1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What camera can do that photoshop can not?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Feb 26, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    my nex-f3 has features like auto portrait cropping, filters to make the image look like a toy camera or black and white. Which of the overall supported features can not be done in photoshop and so one is essential to have those enabled all the time?.
    Let's try to make a list with all the features and how good they can be done from the camera/photoshop. I think this will help a bit more their cameras.

Have a nice evening

Alex

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The only things that matter if you shoot RAW (or JPEG without any special settings) are:

* shutter speed
    * aperture
    * ISO

And, not really in-camera, but still extremely important: Framing (cropping, of course, is possible, but you loose a huge bit of the resolution of your file) and lightning. Nothing can solve the wrong use of a flash after the photo is done, and under- or overexposure can be corrected by some stops (especially in RAW), but most of the time it's wiser to expose correctly unless you do high- or low-key-photography or sth. like that.

Edit: Almost forgot: Dark Frame Noise Reduction is also not possible after the shot.

3. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    At my DSLR and the current Nex 6 never made use of these opportunities and I will never use them, no need. Now we are talking about here I realize that these opportunities exist. Maybe others do use it.

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Like poki said, other than getting the image correctly exposed in camera using shutter speed, ISO, and aperture, there's nothing your camera can do that PS can't. Any effect a camera can do, PS shop can do it and if you know how, it can do it better.

5. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    The question really should be phrased as "What you can do with camera only, but not with post-process".

Composition (framing and lighting, which are very important) aside, it's mostly sharpness, depth of field, and noise control.
    You control sharpness with camera shutter speed and stabilization support, you control DoF with aperture, you control noise with ISO.
    You can probably do some sharpening or de-noise in PP, but it's not the same thing.

6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    It's all pixels after all, you can do it from 0 and 1s. But I won't go there.

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Aperture is not only for dof. Shutter speed is in most times not for sharpness (or camera shake, for that matter). Noise can be removed afterwards, although a lower ISO will be the most important factor to get rid of noise. Still, there's also long exposure noise, bokeh noise, etc. depending on many factors, so ISO is not the only thing that determines noise.

I appreciate you want to tell alaios the basics without getting too technical, but a little knowledge of the basic aperture values are necessary to understand how it all works together. In other words: Take eno's advice as a starting point and try everything else out yourself from there, Alex!

Writing 24 million RGB pixels with 0s and 1s? Have fun. ;)

8. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    All the filters the OP mentioned are basically gimmicks.
    Only thin depth of field achieved with a fast lens or longer focal length is very difficult to emulate in post processing. The Fuji X10 has a faux background blur mode that is actually rather fun to play with, but it's a little capricious and will only work under certain conditions. It won't replace a large sensor/fast lens.
    Personally I never use any kind of filter. I guess I'd be happy with any plastic box with an APS-C sensor in it and direct access to shutter, aperture and ISO. That's pretty much how I use my NEX 7 !!

9. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I don't think any photo editing has the polariser right yet.
    The only filters I use now are polariser and ND and grad ND, but none on the nex, its much bother

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, filters are not something a camera can do. ;)

But yeah, of course you are right - polarizers and ND filters are absolutely necessary pieces of hardware for certain types of photography.

11. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    Ha ha,
    I must have misinterpreted the OPs question , I thought he meant , "what can you do with the camera that can't be replicated in Photoshop, just as well"

Silly me

12. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Those are two things I need to get and learn how to use. I have watched some videos but still not sure when or how. Guess I just need to get a couple and play with them to get a better idea.

13. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    The camera helps you get a girl's phone number, Photoshop does not.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    :laugh1:

The camera also helps you get punched in the face. Photoshop is far less obnoxious.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I guess I have better luck with girls than you do. :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    It's always easier to blur (or add noise effects/film grain) than to sharpen. So that's why people really go for sharp lenses

17. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    It is amazing that one might spend 1/1000 of a second using the camera then hours in PS.

18. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Yep I agree, so let's try to turn the discussion towards that point. If I understand it right the discussion now is about filters and focal length things that in Photoshop are too hard to achieve

19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Too hard to achieve? You can NOT simulate ND filters or polarizers with any software ever.

20. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    You might be able to get some similar-looking results; I saw a pic somewhere recently (maybe Google Plus) where the photographer had shot a bunch of frames of moving water, aligned them as layers in photoshop, and managed to get a somewhat credible looking "cotton candy water" effect like one would use an ND filter for. It may be do-able, but it kind of falls into that huge bucket of things that are a whole lot easier to get properly in camera to begin with than to correct in post later.