1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What bags are people using for their Nex-5N?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by John M Davis, Sep 3, 2011.

1. John M Davis

John M Davis New to TalkEmount

Sep 3, 2011
    Curious to see the types/brands of bags being used with the Nex-5N.

2. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    While not exactly a 5N, I've used the Artist and Artisan "Image Smith" for my NEX-5, C3 and will for my NEX-7. It's just the right size for my Nikkor lenses, charger and accessories.
    Artisan&Artist* Bags

3. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I haven't yet got my NEX-5N but in going to use my £30 Targus bag that I use for my iPad and Leica D-Lux 5. If it doesn't work out I'll see what others here tell us about and look into replacing this bag.

Cheers, Macjim.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
  5. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Hey Phoenix, what are "hook and loop sound silencers"? I dislike velcro and would be the one thing to dissuade...

6. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    They're flaps that fold the velcro in and prevents it from sticking together.

Velcro with silencers.

The front flap is heavy enough that you wont need the velcro to keep your gear secure, it also helps having easy access to your gear. Every velcro in the bag has this silencer option.

7. Melv

Melv TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Rotherham, U.K.
    Hi, I'm using a Billingham digital for my NEX-5. Got it for my Birthday last month. Love it!

8. heatherthevet

heatherthevet TalkEmount Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I use a French gas mask bag made of heavy canvas with leather straps. I had to cut out a central division, but it seems to do the job pretty well!

9. nexnex

nexnex New to TalkEmount

Sep 5, 2011
    Singapore
    billingham hadley small user here....very nice bag for nex

10. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    A messenger style bag from Muji. An awful lot cheaper than the dedicated camera bags and has the additional merit of not looking like there's anything valuable in it.

11. macjim

Aug 10, 2011
    Having now got my new 5N with 16mm & 18-55mm lenses, and having answered that I'd use my Targus bag, I've decided that I need a lens bag and/or a bag that will hold either lens, plus the spare battery memory card and a lens cleaner. Any suggestions? The other thing I'm looking at is a camera case for the NEX-5N with lens but not the Sony case

Cheers, Macjim.

12. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I don't have the 5N (just the NEX-3 and I've pre-ordered the NEX-7) but I use a variety of bags depending on my travel needs. Sometimes I just use a Case Logic SLMC-200 case to hold my NEX-3, 16mm pancake and an extra battery inside a larger bag. Other times I use a UTG Multi-Functional Tactical Messenger Bag with a Domke camera bag insert. Other times I use a Tenba Black Label Large Shoulder Bag. I also have a Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 50 V2.0 that I sometimes use.

Most recently, I've been using a cheap (but useful) Acme Made Clyde St. Messenger bag that holds up to a 17-inch laptop and many accessories along with a BBP DSLR Camera Paddy insert that fits inside the messenger bag to hold the camera and lenses.

13. John Walker

John Walker New to TalkEmount

Sep 4, 2011
    Friend is using Lowepro Courier 80. It is made for NEX cameras. Nice bag.

14. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I haven't tried the Courier 80, but I did own the Lowepro Courier 70 (also designed for the NEX) for a few days before returning it to the store (I don't take the tags off until I'm certain I like a bag).

The Courier 70 was too small IMHO and didn't have a well thought out design since it was designed to be either a shoulder bag or a belt bag but the lens pouch for the 16mm pancake only connects to the bag if it's in "shoulder bag" mode ... there is no way to connect the lens pouch to the bag when it's a belt bag.

15. NeechP

NeechP New to TalkEmount

Jan 22, 2012
    After searching for what seemed like months for a bag that would fit my Nex5 & iPad, and MacBook. I found, and finally accepted spending $200 at InCase. The Incase Design Ari Marcopoulos Bag. I love it! It fits all the day to day items I need for work, day trips, and day trip travels. Feels great, but kinda wish it was available in black. I guess sometimes we are forced to get out of the "black bag" shell though. In this case it was a good thing. I definently recommend this bag to anyone looking for a good "all in one" bag!

16. macjim

Aug 10, 2011
    Update: I have seen a nice bag from lowepro. It's the lowepro pro messenger bag and it comes in three sizes. It's not due out until March/April this year so check it out online to see its features. What I like about it is the large pocket that can accommodate a MacBook Air along with your cameras. I've been looking for a bag that would take my nex-5n twin lens kit and a Leica M9 with an extra lens so this looks good. I had looked at the Think Tank Messenger bags in black but they would appear to be unable to take an Air safely.

17. Junki Saita

Junki Saita TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    I have the Ari Macropolous bag by Incase as well.

It's definitely a very nice bag to be used as a medium sized "system" style bag (ie: a non-compact bag for carrying the camera along with a number of lenses and accessories). Very well designed, with well thought out details, and very nice construction and access.

A couple of things to note though, are that it can get a little uncomfortable to hold over a long period of time unless it is cinched up tight (granted, that is how it is designed to be worn anyway). Also the way that the bag hangs (even when cinched up tight against your back), it does tend to poke out a bit over your shoulder, and so, when maneuvering through any kind of a semi-crowded environment (say a gallery), be careful of bonking people with your bag (as I have ;) ) on several occasions (or at least have an apology readily at hand.

18. Junki Saita

Junki Saita TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Here are a couple of bags that I am using with my NEX:

J U N K I S A I T A » GearStuff – Lowepro Munich 100

J U N K I S A I T A » GearStuff – Lowepro CompuDay Photo 250

I'm also using a Lowepro S&F system backpack, an Ari Marcopolous sling by Incase, another smaller camera case by Incase, a couple of bags by Timbuk2, and Maxpedition, among others (I'm a bit of a gear bag addict... in case you haven't noticed ;) ). I'll probably do little write-ups on some of them as well at some point and post them here as well if there is any interest.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
  20. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I'm using a Lowepro Edit110. It's only just enough to fit the 16 and 18-55 twin lens kit.

I chose that because of its mini size, but I can see now that there are going to be days when I'm going to need a much bigger bag.