1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

what are your jpeg settings?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Apr 3, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi I wanted to ask from everyone to share
    their camera jpeg settings. Please provide the body you have, the settings, and for what type of photography you think that works well.
    I would like to tune a bit settings a bit but I am not sure how to start with.

Regards
    Alex

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you really want to shoot JPEG (and I strongly suggest to shoot RAW), in my experience, it's best to shoot in 'portrait' color mode. With that preset, you get somewhat flatter colors which still contain enough information for smooth gradients. This allows for the best color grading in post. Also, don't put the "sharpness" setting to any '+' setting as it may over sharpen certain textures which looks just damn bad. You can always add sharpening, but you cannot recover over sharpened areas.

I prefer putting saturation to -1 to achieve even smoother color renditions, but that's up for personal preferences.

As for body differences, there are no significant differences in the JPEG compression and processing in any Sony NEX cameras.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi I have to shoot jpeg as I am too busy this period to process raw files this is the reason I wanted somehow tweak jpeg and stick there...

the portrait color mode you are suggesting is the scene---- portrait mode.

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Exactly, the scene mode.

As for "too busy" - that's what the awesome RAW+JPEG setting is for. ;)

Also, if you create a simple preset which you can even add while importing RAW files in for example Lightroom, shooting RAW doesn't take more time than shooting JPEG.

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Well it sound that I have to learn lightroom then :p

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary