What are your favorite accessories for Sony cameras/lenses?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Don Whitesett, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Don Whitesett

Don Whitesett New to TalkEmount

Sep 20, 2017
    CA
    Hi everyone! I'd like to hear about whatever accessories you love for your Sony gear, APS-C or FF. I hope this thread will tip me and others off to some great Sony-related goodies!

Then again, if you also have something you bought that wasn't so hot, we might want to learn about that too.

I'll start off by saying if I have to clean a lens (let's say I picked up a scruffy looking used one), I like to use ROR (Residual Oil Remover.) If I'm in the field and I need to clean a smudge or something, I'll just pop out a Zeiss wipe instead. I always carry a couple of Zeiss packets in my bag.

Now, I know those aren't Sony-specific items, but that's what I've got to offer off the top of my head.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Giotti rocket blower - to blow dust out when changing lenses. Best accessory I ever purchased. The Giotti works much better than the knock-offs.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    Black Rapid, or Peak Design, shoulder strap. And a Gordy's Wrist Strap is a must.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Nikon AN-6W neck strap. Used since my Nikon F3 days on every camera I have owned and own. Recently I bought a pair of Peak Design Anchor Links which make the neck strap detacheable.

S01-KN399-1-4pc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The Peak Design Slide strap with the quick release "ancor" system and L-plate/bracket are 2 of my favorite and most useful purchases :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Golfhacker27

Golfhacker27 TalkEmount Regular

May 15, 2016
    1. Sensor cleaning kit (fluid and swabs). Don’t get me started on the sensor dust subject :shakehead:
    2. Spare batteries and charger. Shameful that Sony don’t provide one (the ONLY camera - from cheap compact to SLR - that I have not had a charger supplied with. And the cheap no-name batteries from Amazon hold their charge during out-of-camera storage much better than the genuine Sony items
    3. Op/Tech sling strap. Comfortable, great quick-release snaps, secure even when using only one (rather than both anchor points on the A7 body)

• Like Like x 4
  7. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Sony used to bundle a charger back in the NEX days. In-camera works fine though, until you want to charge one while you are using the camera elsewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Off the top of my head, basic stuff I use with NEX7 models:

Canon FD lenses from film days of the 80's
    Lexar SD cards (+dry adhesive duct-tape removal tab)
    LCD Screen Protectors (Vello)
    Video button Guard Ring (Sony NEX-7 Camera)
    Metal dome add-on buttons (Sony NEX-7 Camera)
    Black parachute cord wrist loop (always attached to camera)
    Rocket blower

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Sorry if I'm missing the point, but what I carry in my photo backpack are not only my favourites, but essential to my photography - mainly landscapes. So here they are:

1. Haida 150mm system holder
    2. Nisi 150mm reversed graduated ND filter
    3. Haida 150mm 3 stop graduated ND filter
    4. Haida 10 stop ND filter
    5. Brush and rocket blower + microfibre cloth
    6. External timer (interval, long exposure)
    7. Pocket torch
    8. Camera L plate

And in my hand, I carry my Gitzo Mountaineer Series 2 carbon fibre tripod with an Arca Swiss P0 head.
    :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Don Whitesett

Sep 20, 2017
    CA
    Thanks guys. All great tips, including yours, Mus! I like the Movie button ring guard, but for me personally I'm not as crazy about the stainless steel buttons. 1) I'd prefer to see the markings on the buttons and 2) I'd rather not have something shiny on my camera as most of the time I'm wanting to be stealth in my photography. But that's just my style and again, still a useful tip. It's good to see such a product exist.

On DPR, I just saw some people talking about ButtonBumps in the Sony APS-C section. Anyone have any experience with those or the shutterbands made by the same company?

That reminds me, I also like the ProDots for my shutter button. I feel it allows me to apply a softer squeeze when I snap my shots.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    OMG, where are my manners? :doh: I should have welcomed you Don Whitesett to Talkemount. Sorry.

Welcome to Talkemount Don.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Don Whitesett

Sep 20, 2017
    CA
    I was looking at the Gordy's strap on a YouTube review and I saw someone added a carbinger for quick release, which I thought was a great idea. Looks like a really solid strap. I also like the Peak Design Clutch but it looks to be a lot more expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Don Whitesett

Sep 20, 2017
    CA
    Thanks, Mus! I some great images shot by you in the Showcase threads!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Probably obvious to most Sony shooters....and has been mentioned already....
    A good external battery charger, in this case, a dual battery USB-powered charger by Andoer. Paired with a 2.1-2.4A power source, it'll recharge two batteries in less time than the standard 500mA charge method. On a trip, I can burn through 4-5 batteries each day with my trigger, err shutter happy finger. Recharging them successively each night becomes bothersome. With a single external charger + in-body charging, it required monitoring for them to finish so that a another set can get recharged before turning in.
    It has individual LCD charge indicators, and it's smaller than my single external charger.

Besides the rocket blower and converting to Arca-Swiss compatible quick releases, it has been my top three most beneficial and convenient Sony photography experience accessories.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    No business of mine what you choose of course, just responding to your request for help...and based upon your reply I wanted to be sure you understood what I was referring to by add-on buttons.
    When I look at the overall mass of a camera / lens (below) for example, there's nothing inconspicuous about it...and in fact that tiny stainless half dome shutter button add-on is about the last thing that I even notice.
    So were you referring to something else?

TEUPLOAD.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    We kind of have some insider info here with Shutterbands. ;)

New E-Mount Camera Accessories from ShutterBands

• Like Like x 1
  17. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    When size actually does matter... :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Great wildlife lens for sure :)
    I thought I'd died & gone to heaven when I retired 5 years ago and learned about Sony's new mirrorless cameras that would accept legacy lenses with an adapter...my entire inventory of manual Canon FD lenses from film days (that I'd carefully stored all those years) suddenly all sprang back to life.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Don Whitesett

Sep 20, 2017
    CA
    First of all, let me say that I really like both shots posted to this thread. Nice work, great gear, because if you take great photos it has to be because you have a really nice camera.

Sorry, I wasn't asking for any help. I was looking to share ideas about the small, easy to overlook items that we may not know exist. And I asked if anyone had any experience with the Shutterbands products to see what the response was.

In my mind, a person facing directly at you from a distance may not be able to discern you or how long your lens is, but if sunlight flares off a stainless steel covered C1 button and catches their eye, it won't matter how long or short the lens is. You are busted now and they will begin actively looking to see where that small spot of light bounced from. But that's just me and maybe I'm the only one with this POV.

You did make a compelling point about why it works for you. I appreciate your post and again, admire your image.

This thread is just meant to explore all options and people can decide for themselves whether something works for them or not. It's all good!

bdbits, I looked over the thread and plan to try out their products. Thanks for that link.

One last thing. Maybe I've missed the rough part of town here, but I really like how relaxed it is around here. When I visit DRReview I feel like I deserve combat pay just to maneuver through the place, and I'm just a lurker.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    My sentiments exactly. :thiagree:

• Agree Agree x 2