1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What are the best tone/contrast settings for converting RAW to Black and White, for portraits

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by OldNoob, Dec 21, 2014.

1. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    So in what are everyones opinion on the best tone/contrast settings for converting RAW to Black and White, for portraits?

2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Hmmm...I'm not sure. For me it sort of changes from picture to picture.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    For black and white I usually process in colour fist then convert it, but im no expert

• Like Like x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I agree with Mike. I confess that I'm always confused by these "best settings" questions because I haven't ever found any settings that work well for more than a short burst of photos taken at the same time. When the light changes, or the location, or the subject, then what's best changes as well, at least for my taste. :hmmm:

• Like Like x 2
  5. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    thats like answering whats the best beer

6. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    It seems to me, that you either want to go for a flattering look, or something more dramatic/interesting.

Low contrast tends to be more flattering, high contrast can be dramatic but brings out shadows in wrinkles and under eyes.

One thing I do think can be good either way, is it to bring up the orange/yellow colours and darken the others, to get an effect similar to an old school Orange filter. For a person with light skin anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    There are no "best settings", neither in-camera nor in post processing. Processing photos and developing RAWs is an art just as the photography itself - or a craft, depending on what you aspire to be and in which industry you are.

Whatever it might be, every single setting is different for any single photo you take, or at least it should be for optimal results. Every single hour spent editing a single photo feels different. If there would be "best" settings, everyone could just stick using that preset, but there's simply no such thing.

But to get a richer tonality, it usually is preferable to first tune the colors before converting an image to black and white, and then tuning the tones again to get to a perfect result. The simple reason is that you have more data to work with before converting an image - except if you shot them with a monochromatic sensor, of course.

• Like Like x 1