1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Went to the dark side...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by addieleman, Sep 23, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    ... and bought an Olympus OM 35/2 for only(?) € 50. This might just be one of my mistakes or a great buy, I'm not sure. I hope it's better than the Minolta 35/1.8 which doesn't really impress me.

[​IMG]

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah, that was what caused the slight bobble in the rotation of earth that I felt in my sleep.

Can Ad, confirmed Minolta aficionado, find true love and happiness in legacy Olympus lens land? Stay tuned… :laugh1:

• Like Like x 2
  3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    :D well at least from other lenses I have gotten, is always a guessing game on liking it or not for me. :)
    Like I got this awesome Hexanon 50mm 1.4 New oldstock...and didnt like it at all...much more prefer my Rokkor MD 1.4 or even a Hexanon 1.7 I got as well.

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've certainly blown more than that on a vintage 35/2 (and not just once). Can't wait to see how this performs!

5. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, The Force has withheld me from straying from the path of the righteous: it turns out that the seller allows local pick-up only and upon looking closer I saw that the mount must have been modified. So, the deal is off :(. Price was too good to be true I guess, and I just stumbled on a review which is not favorable at all.

6. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Well, that is a bummer. However, being Mr. Minolta, what is your opinion of the MD Zoom 24-35mm f/3.5? I notice it is in your lens database. I've seen several lately, but I already have that FL range covered by my Promaster Spectrum 7 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5, which yields pretty good images. It wouldn't surprise me if the 24-35 has similar image characteristics as the MD 28/2.8, but the question is would the characteristics be enough of an improvement to drop $100+ on another lens? I know the final decision is mine to make, but do you find this lens to be average, above average, or . . . ?

Tony

7. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Oh well, more money left to spend on Minolta glass :).

The Minolta MD 24-35/3.5 is kind of a strange animal. Very limited zoom range, in fact on a NEX it's a standard lens with variable focal length, quite useful in fact. It's best at 24mm and it's even better than the Minolta 24mm primes in terms of sharpness across the frame; I've used it for landscapes and the pics turned out well. Image quality in the corners progressively decreases until it's fairly mediocre at 35mm. But even at 35mm it doesn't really fare worse than the Minolta 35mm primes. I'm talking about middle apertures here, f/5.6...f/11. At f/3.5 it's not bad at all and useable throughout if you're not aiming for the best sharpness.
    Surprisingly, pictures can come out a little devoid of color, it doesn't sport the usual color richness of many other Minoltas.

Is it worth $100? As always, it's your call really. I think I paid about € 75 for mine and I don't regret it, even when not considering the collector's value for me (which is even more subjective).

• Like Like x 1
  8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks for the input, Ad. I think I'll pass on it, because the Spectrum 7 19-35mm, while not a Minolta, still has pretty good sharpness, color and contrast. It also has stunningly deep DOF, which really comes in handy sometimes.

Tony

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've been hunting this lens for a while...
    It seems to fetch a rather high pricetag (ebay but still) - mint examples are over $150

10. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I know, I had to wait quite a while before a regular auction with a reasonable minimum bid came up. Just checked and I ended up paying € 56 excl. shipping.

11. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I'll give you $60 then. Deal?...........:p
    (joking offcourse ;) )

12. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I love every single OM mount lens I have bought, and indeed have concentrated on OM for my legacy glass, with only two exceptions. It should serve you well !

13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Ehm, I'll think about it. (1 second later)... No! You ask me to part with a Minolta lens that I don't even have two of? You can't be serious! :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, I have to say that the OM 28/3.5 I have, is every bit as sharp as my best Minolta 28. I'm waiting for the seller to come back, he may make me another offer for the lens restored to its original state.

15. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    My Minolta collection just grew a bit more . . . I found an MD 24-35mm for only $55 USD. That is definitely a low enough price that experimentation won't break the bank. Looking forward to getting my greedy little mitts on it and taking a long walk in the woods.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  16. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Ah, so you're the one that won that lens on ebay :D...........:thumbup:
    Also came with the hood which is an added bonus for such a bargain price ;)
    I was suprised to see there was only one bidding

Please post some photos soon - and would also like to hear your impression when you test it ;)

17. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    So I wasn't the only TalkNex contributor looking. :D I was surprised at the price, considering they usually list for $100 - 150 or more. I think I caught the auction within the first hour or so of opening. I'll definitely be doing an "adapted lens" post when I get it.

Since the title of this thread mentions "The Dark Side", I have come to the reluctant conclusion that doing business on the Web almost requires a PayPal account, as much as I dislike their business model. I set up a separate checking account that I use for Web business only, so I can do business through eBay/PP without risking much.

Tony