• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Well, that's a reach...

Brownie

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tim
I've been poking around on the forum while awaiting the release (hopefully) of the A7 Mk IV. In looking through the lens showcases I notice not very many go for the long zooms. I am a reach guy. I figured out a long time ago that I want as long a lens as I can get. If I have one reservation about adding a FF to my M-4/3 shooting, it's reach. The ability to shoot 800mm equivalance handheld with a lens that weighs a couple pounds is fantastic.

Also learned over the years that I am not a prime shooter. I've tried to be, I have purchased and then sold almost complete sets due to lack of use. Other than keeping a standard FL prime on hand, and depending on my zooms a maybe wide or a short tele, they just don't interest me. Maybe I'm just lazy.

In looking through the EXIF in my main interests in photography, it seems I tend to use 200-300mm (equivalence) at the drag strip quite a bit, and longer at air shows. The caveat(s) would be custom car shows and museums where I need wide.

Is there a reason they don't seem to be popular here, or is it just shooting style, etc?

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
For me it’s mostly shooting style. Even with my zooms, I find myself taking photos in the ~24–35mm range most of the time. I have the Sigma 100-400mm lens, but I only bring it along when I know that I’m going to use it. Because it’s big and it’s heavy. Otherwise, it just gathers dust on the shelf.

Brownie

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Tim
For me it’s mostly shooting style. Even with my zooms, I find myself taking photos in the ~24–35mm range most of the time. I have the Sigma 100-400mm lens, but I only bring it along when I know that I’m going to use it. Because it’s big and it’s heavy. Otherwise, it just gathers dust on the shelf.
Yeah, I am not discounting the middle range. My favorite walk-around is the 12-60, so 24-120 EQ. It gets used probably more than any other for general stuff. I guess I was thinking more in terms of events or specific outings.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I also enjo shooting with decent zoom lenses. I like the 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS lens on my A6600 for reach combined with portability. The 525mm equivalent focal length at a weight that I can easily carry is just great. The OSS combined with the A6600 IBIS is also super. I shot this hand held at 1/20 second using 350mm focal length. https://photos.smugmug.com/LENS-TESTS/i-fFQcSs3/0/504e9143/X3/70-350mm OSS-IBIS TEST_5650-X3.jpg I also can see how the Tamron 11-20mm f/2.8 lens may just become one of my favorites. My A7iii just about has the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 glued on to it...

Kmac76

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
I will like this thread….. I love my 24-240 for the versatility and length; but I am lusting for the 200-600 to pair with my a6600. I haven’t looked at the new 150-500 Tamron - but I know I will use whatever long lens I can justify

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I use my full-frame gear primarily for 100mm and under. I have kept a certain amount of mu43 gear specifically for telephoto work. Almost all of the long full-frame glass is too heavy and too expensive for my tastes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom