1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Well that wasn't too hard...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Roscoe, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Okay so today I received a Lensrental Sony A7-II and I'm impressed. Getting home at 6:30, loading a memory card and rushing out without learning diddly about the camera, turns out it was in JPEG mode, so I'm not posting any pics!!! Fact is, I was measurably impressed after all the negative buzz about the menus that I was able to wade my way through take a few photos with a rented Zeiss Loxia lens and change that out for my old Contax CY 85mm F/1.4 on a Novoflex and have it actually take some shots. Darkness fell rapidly so I had only about 30 minutes in the garden before the curtain fell... and it was time to go for dinner.

What impressed me? 1) Smaller than my Fuji X-PRO2. Almost too small and begging for either a bracket or battery sup on the bottom to give a little more grip. 2) Weighs a TON!!! Put the 85mm and it's a real brick! and forces you into classic holds the Fuji didn't require. But the heft actually makes it easier to hold steady I think. 3) Shutter is waaaaaay loud. I all but had my Fuji shutter on silence, and this doesn't seem to have that choice. Not sure why, but it didn't seem to scare off the rabbits that ran past me. 4) Getting the focus zoom to work with a manual adapted lens is something I've done once by accident, but I'll have to go through pressing everything to figure it out again. I will figure it out. This is just what we do, huh? 5) Zeiss Loxia... wow! REALLY nice handling! Contax CY Zeiss is nice... but this is a real step up.

I've gone through the menus and guessed at some of what they're about to set it up for my style of shooting, so we'll get another couple of shots tomorrow in the a.m. and evening p.m. Technically I have until Monday to decide whether I'm keeping it... but the fact is, I am. A second battery of Fuji lens and camera sales will leave me with a backup Fuji and my old Zeiss and Olympus OM Zuikos from film days... but that will be plenty. Somewhere in here I will likely need an auto lens... but no rush!!! Anyway... so you guys have really been on to something. Sweet! Y'know, I've loved my Fujis, mirrorless and the whole nine yards, but this is about facilitating a way of shooting I prefer and sort of backed into. Who knew?

Will post some photos after the weekend.

• Like Like x 4
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Hmmm....another convert eh?
    I have the C2 button set up (don't know how I did it, it just does it when I push it) to go to mag focus with my manual lenses (don't have anything else). I was using the C3 button but it was a real pain to use. C2 not so much.
    It isn't a lightweight by any means, but, when you consider all the tech hidden inside I think it's a fair trade off.
    Shutter noise is relative. Have you heard a Nikon FM2?
    I'm glad I made the leap of faith even without a tryout.

3. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Tryout knocks off some major bucks. Glad to hear about the C2 button switch... somehow I figured something like this ought to be possible. And you're right... there are SOOOOO many things hidden in the menus, I don't even know what some of them mean yet... and I've just guessed. I have a Rockynook book and a John G. series of videos to help... but mine doesn't come with a manual... which if they're like Fuji manuals are useless anyway.

4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I got mine used as a gift from my kids and brother, I paid half myself since it was still pretty pricey. I didn't get a manual either, but the menus are sorta like the ones in my Nex-7 so not too hard to figure out. So far I've got it figured out to the point I can swap out lenses pretty quick and get the camera set up for the new lens in about a minute or two. Quicker if I have my glasses on! DOH!

Most of the pics I've posted from mine have been jpg's SOOC so post some of yours, they can't be that bad. (Either that or you guys have been very kind and not telling my how bad my pictures suck.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Personally, for many years I have been getting one of Gary Friedman's guides for every Sony I have bought. I have looked at other guidebooks, but none has been as good as Gary's for bringing out the capabilities hidden in the menus and the way to set up the camera to match my personal way of using the camera.

He also includes a listing of all the menu setups he uses himself, and an explanation for each setting. Most of the time I agree with his choices, but occasionally I will use a different setting, just because I have different priorities in some areas.

- Tom -

• Like Like x 2
  6. Roscoe

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Tom: Thanks for the suggestion. Will check out the Friedman book. More the merrier in my view.