Well, lucky to have had 3 successful deer hunts so far, because I've been benched !!

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by roundball, Dec 2, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Took a bad fall coming out of the woods through a wet / muddy / slippery swamp at dark Friday night (28th)
    Slipped in the mud stepping across a ditch and trying to keep from going down, stepped hard to the side.
    Ended up jamming my right foot down into a hole...and major hyper-extended the front half of my right foot.
    Leg jack-knifed up under me and all my weight went onto the right foot in that small hole, toes bent back up over the instep.
    Pain level and swelling has been very bad all weekend...(In spite of eating Ibuprofen like candy)
    Impossible to sleep Friday & Saturday nights....(no comfortable position that didn't add to the pain)...
    Swelling increased dramatically over the weekend, seemed to have peaked yesterday.
    No shoes fit so I removed the inner sole from an LLBean slipper to at least have something that fit over the front of the foot.
    Wife drove me to a Bone & Joint Surgery Facility yesterday for X-rays & assessment.

The Good News:
    "...No bones broken....very slight indication of a ligament beginning to tear...but it should heal OK without a cast, etc…”
    The Bad News:
    “…stay off it a couple weeks, then go easy for a couple more weeks to avoid re-injuring it..."
    ( which covers December, the remaining month of the 2 month season )

Very ironic that this injury should happen on the ground like this.
    When I hit 60, I decided I’d manage / reduce the risk of falls / injury by no longer using tiny Loc-On tree stands up at 15-20'.
    Started using some ground blinds and larger / safer ladder stands.
    When I hit 66 I even stopped using ladder stands, went to ground blinds exclusively.
    So I'd dodged any injury bullets for decades and had achieved zero risk of injuries from elevated hunting stands last year.

Now this happens just walking out of the woods.

I suspect I'll be housebound til mid-month, then hopefully able to get out for mild walking on good ground and try to find something worth photographing.....slimmer pickings than normal this time of year, but I'll play the cards I've been dealt
  2. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    goodness. ya got to be careful man. hope that you heal quickly. maybe you should stick to fishing ;)
  3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    Hope you heal fast mate.

I guess we'll be getting quite a few shots from the kitchen window in the meantime :)
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Tough luck. I have been really lucky lately. No time to take photographs (absolutely too much work) and there was 13 hours of sunshine during previous month in Helsinki so no possibility to take photographs either. Usually it is too much work and fine weather for me.
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Best of luck on the recovery.
  6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    Sad to hear about your fall, maybe you should consider having the kitchen window removed or possibly even the wall to increase your chances with shots from the feeder :p. In all seriousness though, best of luck while on the mend.