1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Well...I took the Macro plunge

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jun 5, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    After a little research, I went ahead and poked around for an actual ‘macro’ lens…lucked out and found one like new, a Canon FD 100/4.0 Macro, for a few double burgers & fries.
    I just stepped out and took a couple hasty test shots on a monopod to know if it even worked or not. Hanging basket of Petunias had a very slight sway in the breeze, tried to time the shots when it had swung to a stopping / reversal point, LOL.
    Shot it native, no tube... 1st photo is original...2nd photo is cropped up to see how the detail looked and the little grains of pollen seem sharp...plus, the background is incredibly smooth.
    Lens looks like new, everything seems to work, will learn more about macro lenses and techniques as I get into it deeper this summer.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Looks like a typical old macro lens with good MTF 40 and slightly worse MTF 10. So you might think about adding some global contrast in post just to give the shots some punch. I'm curious to see what you can do with the lens, so keep us up to date on your work!

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That is the way to go! I am interested in your results too.

I agree with Poki, most legacy macros are at least decent but need post processing, especially with contrast.

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Never really had any interest in 'macro' so this will be a whole new chapter of photography to learn about, which is the kind of attraction / challenge a good hobby offers. A lot of new stuff to explore / figure out and the good news is, very little investment with low cost Canon lenses available that work so well on the NEX-7.

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You did hit a bargain, Ffordes sells that lens for 119 GBP - 199 GBP.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yeah, hard to beat $99 (USD) delivered...and that particular seller has a huge amount of ratings with 100% positive and a 2 week return policy so I figured it was about as low risk as I was going to find. The lens is exactly as advertised, basically like new condition, and unless something creeps out of the woodwork as I use it more, it appears to work perfectly. Busy with some things today but will try to get a minute after the sun comes out and shoot those Petunias with a 50 extension tube today, see what I learn.
    Also rummaged around my stack of photography books I accumulated back in the '80's, and discovered I had bought a brand new book back in 1987: Closeups in Nature, by John Shaw
    And its still brand new...never opened it until now, LOL...life is good

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Wow…additional test shot using FD 50 extension tube and tripod.
    This $99 Canon FD 100/4.0 Macro lens is very sharp picking up detail…I never even noticed the single drop of dew at the bottom of the left hand ‘anther’ looking through the lens…only after I cropped it up.

• Like Like x 3
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Have fun with your new lens

9. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    you guys have to stop with all this macro talk, my wallet is hiding under the bed haha

• Like Like x 1
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    One of the benefits of being retired after working a half century...beans, bread, and photo gear...LOL.

(of course there IS a down side to being so old you can retire.....................................................)

• Like Like x 1
  11. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Welcome to macro shooting! I finally have a good lens, but am still working on lighting. Just found out today that the Metz 15 MS-1 won't fire from the pop-up flash of my a6000. Apparently will need a Sony flash to work as the wireless trigger... more $, of course :(

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    In further experimenting to see just how much detail was there if I cropped it up even further, I discovered that what I thought was a drop of dew was actually one of the tiny micro sized small petals on that 'anther'.

• Like Like x 2
  13. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    These look like Dr. Seuss trees! Cool.

14. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    And here is a basic “arrival test” with the “new, never used Canon FD 50/3.5 Macro”.
    If you eliminate me from the equation, it looks like both of these lenses appear to work perfectly.
    (PS: everyone probably already learned this but they both work perfectly as normal 50 and 100mm lens as well).

Much work ahead getting up this learning curve but it's going to be interesting...one thing I've already discovered is I'm going to have to manage my patience...I'm finding the task of getting everything set up / positioned correctly / properly focused to be a bit of a PITA compared to "swing the lens, focus, and shoot".

ORIGINAL

CROPPED TO SHOW HAIRS ON STEMS

15. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The Metz 15 MS-1 actually works with the A6000's built-in flash. Just use the learn function in servo mode.

16. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks! I'll check that procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Am using the a6000, but it could apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Really liking this FD100/4 Macro

• Like Like x 2
  19. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I like the results. Back in my early Olympus days I used to shoot macros all the time. I'm looking for a macro lens, some tubes, etc.,but the main thing also I need to keep it on the cheap side. This will put the fun back in photography for me. Looking forward to more results.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

20. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    That looks like fun Roundball! ^^^ :D