Well [bad word], my camera's busted!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by WoodWorks, Apr 4, 2017.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    So I was out this morning on my walk with dog, testing out this new FE 85mm f/1.8 lens, when suddenly my A7II stopped working and the LCD displayed: Camera Error – Turn power off then on.

I complied, but the error message reappeared. Repeatedly. So I went home and Googled until I found the solution in a YouTube video. It seems the floating sensor can sometimes get stuck, and you just have to slap the camera upside the head to fix it.

And it worked! Until it didn't.

So my A7II is now winging its way to Precision Camera, where for a mere US$376 they promise to fix the problem, which apparently will include replacing the sensor and all associated IBIS apparati.

Anyway, until Precision Camera sees fit to return my repaired A7II, I am without any camera except my phone camera. Sigh.

But hey, most of the 20th century's greatest images were captured with cameras that didn't come close to my iPhone 7 Plus's capabilities. So what's my excuse?

Oh, that FE 85mm f/1.8 lens, which I used for less than a day? It rocks! Fast, quiet autofocus, nice heft, and sublime images. But until I get my A7II back, these are all I got. :frown:

33441836940_0f28542469_b.
    Cyrus.jpg
    by David Wood, on Flickr

33032185643_4cb438d4d9_c.
    Kennedy 1978.jpg
    by David Wood, on Flickr

33689526582_9d825e0964_b.
    April 4.jpg
    by David Wood, on Flickr

• Like Like x 8
    • Sad Sad x 4
    • Wow Wow x 2
  2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Sorry about your A7ii. Yeah, I think you just sold me on that lens.

• Wow Wow x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Oh dear...sorry about the A7ii. But that 85/1.8 rocks :th_salute:

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Damn, sorry about the camera :( Expensive repair!!! What do you think caused it? I mean is it a factory error or not?

That FE 85mm 1.8 looks like a winner !

5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No idea. But it's more than three years old, so my guess is not. I read about several other similar failures while Googling, so it's not an unknown weakness. But my camera evidently falls in the low end of the MTBF range. :rolleyes-20:

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Damn! I can't hit both the like and the sad icons.

The lens looks like a winner for sure. Let's hope you have a good experience with Sony repair.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Sorry about your camera, that sucks. Nice pics, that seems to be a great lens though I think you sold me on a D750 since I've already got an 85/1,4 :)

8. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    As Gary said, I'm not sure whether to "like" for the great photos or "sad" for the loss of a valued camera. Hope it all turns out okay.

P.S. - I hit like for the great shots from that 85/1.8.

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Sorry about the camera's failure! :(
    But at least the lens rocks! Try duct-taping it to the front of the iphone 7 in the meantime! :D

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Very nice pictures. I guess your Contax 90mm will stay home a lot more, even when you'll have a working camera again. I must say, $376 for replacing sensor and stabilization units doesn't seem too unfair to me, I remember stories where Precision Camera charged much higher prices; did they say how long it'll take? My NEX-6 failed on me after 4 years and I would have thrown it away, if it weren't for the extended 5-year guarantee that I was offered for free at the time. Maybe extended guarantee isn't such a bad idea after all. An iPhone as a backup camera? Yeah, why not!

11. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Great pictures, sorry about the camera.

12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sadly, the Contax had to be sold to pay for the new 85. I'm not a lens collector. If it doesn't get used, it gets sold. And I just couldn't see using two prime lenses with essentially the same focal length. Plus, the new 85 focuses much quicker, and is almost completely silent. The Contax with the Techart adapter sounded like a clothes dryer full of pebbles. :laugh1:

There was no indication from Precision Camera when I might see the A7II again. But I've read some horror stories about them. Fingers crossed. I very briefly considered upgrading to an A7RII, but that's still a bridge too far for my wallet.

As for the iPhone backup. Yeah, it's a pretty decent camera. But I'm sure glad this didn't happen during my trip to Patagonia last year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Aw shoot, that sucks. I had the exact same thing happen to my camera soon after I bought it! Of course I bought mine used so my first thought was the exact same as yours, "Ah <explicative>!" I started looking at the sensor in when it did this and noticed is was "cockeyed" in the body when it was powered off and didn't move. So, I bumped the base of the camera against the palm of my hand a few times and the sensor dislodged from wherever it was stuck. Turned the camera on, voila! This happened a few times soon after I bought it but it hasn't happened in since then.

Not sure if it's the same issue as yours, but the fact that they're replacing the IBIS bits along with the sensor, feels like it is.

Great photos BTW. The lens looks good. I passed through town yesterday on my way to Cali :thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Laagwater

Laagwater TalkEmount Regular

Jan 15, 2015
    Netherlands
    Edwin
    Sorry to hear about the floating sensor problem David.
    Hope you will have your camera back soon.
    That 85mm rocks, but you know that allready i guess.
    A week ago i met this floating sensor. Maybe it can help you...:)
    flek-110.

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    David - Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with the camera.
    How many actuations had your camera seen?
    Do you think it suffered from trips on your motorcycle?

16. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    My last image was DSC04145. And I've never reset the shutter count, so I'm guessing 4145 shutter activations. As to the cause, your guess is as good as mine. But I read about several other, similar malfunctions while Googling the error message, and I doubt that they were motorcycle related. Sesser says it happened to his camera. And I don't think he rides. So... :hmmm:

17. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    bigger-hammer.
    b5061e97191622df28176abefb752de8_1443765657_cropped.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

May 21, 2016
    randy
    1. I bought the camera used with roughly 4k on the shutter. And it happend within a week of me owning it.
    2. I used to ride several years ago, but when I sold the bike, I was told I could not get another. :hmmm: bikepics-152225-full.
    3. I still have my endorsement. :D

• Like Like x 3
  19. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Oh man, it must have been a dark day when you sold that beauty. CB450?

20. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Sorry to hear about this!
    I guess it could be worse. (Repair could be unavailable or more expensive than a used body...)
    I am definitely going to hang on to my old A7 for backup when I finally get a ii or a iii.