1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Weird self portrait

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Poki, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    You know, sometimes when I'm bored I come up with some weird concepts ... And as I always sucked when it came to shooting selfies, this one is even more weird to me. It's something I haven't seen that way (might be I missed the thousands of photogs that did this before me), but anyway, here we go:

What do you think?

• Like Like x 6
  2. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Neat. Looks like it could be an old album cover

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Hey, you're a constellation!

• Like Like x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I like it. In smaller size it could be a logo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Interesting. It doesn't show in the post but link works...

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For me, the embedding works. Which device and browser do you use?

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    IE ver 10. Maybe it is an older version...

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Should work now. Turned out Flickr changed the url of the image ... that's an annoying bug which I hope they'll resolve soon.

9. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I like it because I like creativity. Even if I didn't like it, I find that experiments are necessary to grow. So I would encourage it. That said, I know the photography world is filled with tradition and there are a lot of people that are offended by anything that exploits digital versatility or breaks traditional rules. I remember looking at some of the venom being spewed at Trey Radcliffe for effectively endorsing extreme PP and was shocked. Ironically, I was at a work party last night and I told a guy I recently got into photography. (note: he is very good). I told him I bought my first "real" camera. He asked did I went Nikon or Canon. I said Sony mirror-less, and the conversation went down hill from there.
    What are some thoughts about breaking traditional paradigms?

10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Here's my not-very-deep thought: Shoot what pleases you. Who cares if it doesn't please me (or anyone else)?

• Like Like x 1
  11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Find someone else to talk to. If someone is condescending about equipment, the guy (I've never heard women doing that) is mostly not worth talking to. Not to be confused with someone who can talk sensibly about how your equipment may limit you or how you can make optimal use of it.

It already helps if you don't know too many of those :). That said, a lot can be learnt from reading books on composition or whatever along with reading on phototechnique, as long as you feel free to deviate from what you hear and see. I happen to like trees in my photos and I've read somewhere that "everyone" generally agrees that trees aren't a worthy subject. Huh? I continued what I like to do, just ignoring such a silly "paradigm".

12. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Cosmic! :cool: