1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

weird mildew smell on a lens - fungus?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Selten, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Selten

Selten TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    As the title says, my questions is whether lens fungus smells. I bought a MD Rokkor 50/1.4 lens on Ebay, and upon its arrival noticed a really strong smell of mildew/rotteness the lens has. I have checked it for fungus, but there seems to be none. However, on the inside of the lens there are weird light grey areas on the black tube and there is absolutely no dust inside - could it be there was fungus inside, and someone cleaned it off?

I really would like to keep the lens, but am very discouraged. What do you think?

2. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I would give it a nice sun or UV treatment, just be on the safe side.

3. Selten

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    That is a bit hard to come by here (has been raining since 2 days), but I'll give it a go, thank you! The smell is a bit less today, so I think I will keep it...

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    Here's a thought. I could not the lens but the case the lens was in. Almost all my old 60-70's era lens cases that are made out of leather and cardboard smell like mold. Even though the case smells like mold it doesn't appear to cause problems with my lenses. I have started cycling out those old cases though.

5. Selten

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    the case does actually look and smell terrible, that is true. Im more wary about the strange white residue on the inner tube. I have tried to photograph it, but that did not work well. Its the strange white dots on the black inner ring.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'd keep an eye on it. It may just be paint from the inner barrel that's flaked off.

7. Selten

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    Oh, that could be that! I did not even think of that. When I sent this picture to the seller, he offered to refund me about half of the original price. Could this be something called Schneideritis? The googled images do seem similar to my lens.