1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Weird memory card behavior

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by doublezd, Oct 21, 2015.

1. doublezd

doublezd TalkEmount Regular

Aug 21, 2015
    First, please let me say I'm not sure where to post this, but I need help.

I have an A7 and an A7II. And, I am renting a Sony RxR1.

shoot in JPEG + Raw.

When traveling, I use a card reader to upload images to my iPad.

The first time my images showed up on my iPad like what you see below, I thought it was the reader. But the reader behaved fine after that.
    image.

Then it happened again with a card from a different camera body.

I was told that sharing cards among cameras is a bad idea, so I stopped sharing cards and labeled the cards so they would no longer be used between cameras.

Then it happened again -- with the third camera body.

Any ideas what is going on? Is it the iPad? the cards? Are my images lost forever?

3 times now-- with 3 different Sony camera bodies-- and with 3 different cards. Please help, and thank you.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    All I see are 8 grey boxes with word JPG in them, followed by what appears to be a missing image. Unless you can give us more info about your workflow steps, I'm not sure that any of us has enough info to give you any sort of good advice.

I use an old Apple Camera Connection Kit (with a 30-pin to Lightning adapter), and I can transfer both jpegs and raw files from my SD cards to the iPad and then into the Photo library. Works every time (so far).

Unless you've formatted the cards after trying to import the images, I have little doubt that the images are still recoverable with some decent file recovery software. Sorry, I've yet to have a need for that kind of software, so I can't give you a recommendation. But others here might be able to.

Do the images still appear when you put the cards back into the cameras?

3. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you WoodWorks.

All I see too are those boxes -- I can see the images in cam, but not when uploading.

When I upload to my iPad, those boxes are what I see.

It doesn't happen every time which is why I haven't seriously doubted the card reader...but now I'm starting to think that may be the culprit.

In terms of my workflow: I always format after I upload to my computer. HOWEVER, when I'm traveling, that upload doesn't come till I return home. While traveling, I upload batches of photos to my iPad so I can see what I shot, and then I put the card back into the camera. I do not format/erase the card until I get home b/c I need to upload all my images onto my computer before erasing.

4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    If you are able to see them in camera after using the card reader with the iPad, and you are also still able to import into the computer once, I wouldn't worry too much about the files being lost.

That being said, there are a number of factors w/r/t import into the iPad that might be the culprit. First, a few questions:
    1) Which model iPad? Does it have a 30-pin connector or a Lightning port?
    2) Which version of iOS? 6, 7, 8, or 9?
    and 3) What card reader? Apple's Connection Kit/Adapter(s) or a 3rd party card reader?

Starting backward, if the card reader is a 3rd party one, that may be the issue as I believe that Apple states that anything other than their own SD adapter may not be fully supported for Photo import.
    Also, from my own experience, I have noticed that importing is much slower for me with my iPad since iOS 7 (or 8) came out. The iPad shows a lot of blanks (outlines, not the gray "JPG" placeholders you're seeing, though) before slowly filling them in one by one. I suspect this is because prior to iOS 7 or 8, I think the iPad ignored RAW files and only imported the JPGs. Now, it tries to bring in both RAW and JPG, and I think that the RAW processor in iOS is nowhere near as efficient as in OS X.
    As much as I love my iPad Air 2, I often don't bother trying to import from a card if it has a lot of shots on it as it just takes too long for the thumbnails to come up.

5. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015

Thank you Hawkman-- Afteer reading your post, I have hope that all are not lost and I will be able to upload them to my computer.

To answer your questions:
    1. iPad Air, lightening port
    2. OS 9.02 (up to date)
    3. [Pro]Master card reader and I use the Apple "camera kit" to connect the card reader to the iPad.

You mention an Apple SD adapter -- what is that?

6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Apple makes two "Camera" adapters for Lightning port iPads. One has a USB port on the business end. I guess that is what you are using. The other has an SD slot built in and is a direct Lightning-to-SD adapter. That is what I use. Plugging a third-party SD reader into the Apple Lightning-to-USB adapter could be hit or miss... I suspect that might be the issue for you. It was intended to connect a camera's USB output (such as using the Sony Multi-Interface to USB cable) to the iPad.

Here's a link to Amazon's listing for the Lightning-to-SD adapter that has always worked (albeit slowly at times) for me.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...D lightning&qid=1445485023&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

7. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    Could it be the slot/adapter your plugging into is an older SD spec and you are using a card with the newer spec (SD vs SDHC vs SDXC see http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd/sdhc/sdxc-specifications-and-compatibility). These specs are NOT backward compatible and although the cards will fit physically, can cause what you are experiencing. I am not familiar with the adapters you mention, so don't know what level of the spec they are at.

if you recently upgraded your memory cards, you may need to upgrade your card reader too. Check the SD logo on your reader & memory cards with the logos in the link to find out for sure.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  8. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you rdfisch-- I am heading to the Apple store today.

9. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    If you need to buy a new SD card reader, just make sure it supports SDXC.

10. doublezd

Aug 21, 2015
    Found the culprit: I recently updated my iPad IOS software,and it turns the problem was a software bug. I didn't realize that they released another software update just a few days ago to fix issues just like this. Phew, problem solved. Thank you all for your help.

• Like Like x 1