1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

weird little thing happened

Discussion in 'Site Information' started by unlo, Sep 26, 2016.

1. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    For some reason or another i opened my browser on my phone to find I was logged out of TalkEmount. I rarely do that on purpose. Anyway I clicked the login button and saw a weird error telling me that the site required I accept cookies before I could log in. Normally, on a desktop I see the small pop up near the bottom of the page asking me to accept / deny cookies. Not on the mobile. This took a few minutes of google searching to figure out how to enable on the mobile. But once I did I was in. Unfortunately, I couldn't turn them on for just this site, seemed to be a global only setting, which is frustrating. I don't ever remember having to do this before and was just curious what might have changed to cause this behavior.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Not sure, we've always used cookies to keep members logged in. I don't think we've changed anything related to that lately.

3. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    For what it's worth... I never see anything here about cookie policy on desktop or mobile (Windows, Android w/Firefox on both), but then I usually leave myself logged in all the time, too. I do deny 3rd-party cookies but accept first-party cookies. Many sites with logins require at least session cookies to track your login/session.

4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    That's what I found frustrating, it wouldn't let me log in @ all on mobile until I checked the box for third party, and for some reason it's a global setting.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    There are no third party cookies needed for login persistence on this site. Is it possible that you were browsing in private or incognito mode by mistake?

6. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Maybe it's a browser-specific thing. Are you on Apple Safari by chance? I tested this on Firefox, Chrome, and IE all on Windows 10, no issues.

7. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    cookies.mp4

Screen recording of what I'm seeing. It's not an incognito tab

8. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    As a somewhat related aside, I've not been able to stay logged in on a few different sites from my iPhone for the past week or so now, including this one.
    (no problems from home Laptop with IE or Firefox)

Tried Safari, then downloaded and tried Firefox on my iPhone but so far can't figure out a working combination...used to work fine without any of those browsers on my iPhone...but now have to go through all the annoying log-in stuff every time.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    From what I see in the video:
    -Cookies enabled (including 3rd party): login persists
    -Cookies disabled altogether: login does not persist

That is by design and has always been the case.

What I don't see in the video is what happens when cookies are enabled with the "Allow third-party cookies" box unchecked. What should happen, and does happen on my phone, is that the login persists.

Our cookie policy is here: Cookie Usage | TalkEmount - Sony Alpha E-Mount Camera User Group

As far as I am aware, there have been no changes that would affect cookie usage for login.

• Like Like x 1