1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Weird idea using 2 adapters witd adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xXx1, Feb 19, 2014.

1. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have been thinking about using two adapters for lenses. The idea is following:
    Put a 4/3 to Nex adapter into camera and fit all lenses with adapter to 4/3. That is about saving space on travel, in many cases the adapters are as large as lenses. I am basically stuck to PK, M42 and CY (I try to get lenses in these mounts and even replace some lenses with these mounts).

Any ideas?

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That should save space indeed, although I think the biggest gain can be had when you use legacy lenses with one single mount type. Then you could pretty much leave the adapter on the camera. I once thought I'd do just that but I ended up with 3 different mounts in my bag because I wanted particular lenses. :ambivalence:

One adapter can already give problems with alignment and light leaks, two adapters in tandem look like too much of a good thing to me.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That should work. As Ad said, you should probably go for the highest quality adapters available because using two at the same time doubles the chance for light leaks or mechanical issues. Also, as I don't know much about 4/3 adapters - make sure the 4/3 adapters cover the full image circle.

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think I am going to test this. I have PK to 43 and m42 to 43 adapters so I need to invest 10 usd into a cheap adapter. If that works I will probably invest into better quality adapters. It would be possible to alter CY mounts to lock into PK adapters (drilling a small hole, CY and PK are very near each other). It is pointless to pay very much for the adapters as Leitax makes PK replacement mounts for Contax lenses.

My favorites in manual focus lenses are probably following:
    14mm/2.8 Samyang in PK
    24mm/2.8 Ensinor (made by Cimko?) in PK
    28mm/2.8 Super Ozeck (made by Ozone Opticals?) in MD (looking for Cimko 28mm in PK/M42)
    (35mm missing, thinking Distagon, Cimko or Samyang or two of these)
    50mm/1.7 Contax Planar in CY
    85mm/2.8 Contax Sonnar in CY
    135mm/3.5 Jupiter 37A in M42 (this is open, I try to get a Cimko or Ozone Optical in 135mm too)
    180mm/2.8 Nikon ED in AI

Modifying those two CY lenses to PK would be option too. Nikon 180mm and Samyang are pretty heavy and not used so often, same for my 4 macros (in practice 55mm & 90 mm Komine). Finding 28mm Cimko in PK or M42 might be possible (and looking for 35mm Samyang, Distagon or Cimko too) and 28mm/2.8 Distagon is about 300 Euro and option too.

5. watchin

watchin TalkEmount Rookie

How can this work? The adapter does 3 functions a] mount adapter b] infinity focal distance adapter c] film plane to focal point adapter
    2 back to back works for a, but b & c will be all messed up.

watchin...aka Greg
    just watchin the world go by, trying to get a good picture.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That is build into adapters. All adapters have all these properties. As flange focal distance with 4/3 is larger than Nex one 4/3 adapters are shorter, That is. Nex to 4/3+4/3 to PK is just same length than Nex to PK, for example.

There is one problem however, cheap adapters are generally about 0.3mm too short so stacking two adapters is going to be about 0.5 mm too short and that is problem with very short focal length lenses. I need to shim at least the 4/3 to Nex adapter.