Weighing UWA Options

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, Sep 13, 2014.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I am trying to decide on which direction to take for UWA on cropped sensor. I currently do not shoot shorter than 16mm but would like to explore what new opportunities could open up for me if I started to look at things with a new perspective.

I currently have both the 16 2.8 and the 20 2.8. I use the 20 mm fairly frequently, but have hardly ever used my 16mm at all. Because I already own these, I was thinking that the VCL adapters might be a good route to go, but since I tend to be more comfortable as a zoom shooter, I began to think that the 10-18 would be a better choice.

I was thinking that if I go the zoom path then I would try to sell the 16 to help fund it. Alternatively, if I go the VCL direction, I could use them on the 16 and the 20 for quite a wide range of options.

What does everyone think?

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just an outsider looking in...food for thought:

If you buy the VCL adapters, you'll be investing even more money in single uses tied to the 16 & 20.

But it seems your "operational preference" (ultimate comfort zone) would be using the zoom.

We only go around once...so I'd say get the 10-18 you mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I agree with roundball. Unless money is a factor, I would go with the 10-18. It's better IQ wise and better for your shooting preference. I sold my 16 and VCL to invest in the Rokinon 12mm, but my main concern was IQ.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thait84

thait84 New to TalkEmount

Jul 20, 2014
    I would just get a 10-18mm. I think it is pretty useful range and it is great for vacationing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't shoot wide but if I did and was into your shoes, I'd also go for the 10-18mm - I just love the versatility of the zooms :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    This is a pretty easy choice when I'm not spending my own money. Of course the 10-18mm. On the other hand when I was faced with such a choice I picked up the VCL and have been pleased with it. It s very easy to put on and off so it's ike a dual fixed point zoom. :p

The question is why don't you use the 16mm much and is it worth the cost if you don't soot wide very often to buy the zoom?

• Like Like x 1
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I did settle to Samyang 12mm. I don't know if I will miss the 2 extra mm with 10-18 but I have been quite satisfied with it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Great question [emoji6]

I actually shoot in the 16-18 range quite a bit, but I am there because of the 16-70 f4 that is on the camera almost all of the time.

I do use the 20 mm a good bit, but I actually think that is because on a cropped sensor, it is a length that works with many different situations where the 16mm - as a prime - is a little more specific of a length and not as flexible.

An idea that I had was to sell all the primes that I don't get much use out of, sell some other gear I am not using that much, and try to get into the f4 zoom kit with the 10-18, 16-70, and then the 70-200. However, I have a problem with parting from my gear and the cost is prohibitive to just go out and do.

9. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    I just picked up a 16/vcl-u combo after mulling over a 10-18. It was less than one third of the price(both used).
    I am surprised and quite pleased with the performance. I love the size of the 16 and the vcl is very convenient to use or carry.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Mnhoj that I'd good to hear. I have still not made a move yet, but I would like to figure something out soon if possible! Do you have samples you wouldn't mind posting?

11. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    Sure.
    Here's a sample I shot walking to the parking lot on my way home last night.
    16x9 crop. NEX6 F4.5 ISO 400 1/125
    Overall, I think it looks very promising. I'll try and shoot something of interest and in good light tomorrow.
    15524743677_0e0fe5f5f4_h. NEX6 by mnhoj, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  12. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I ended up picking the 16/2.8+UWA on CL as well. I am sure that Samyang is a better landscape lens, but not sure it's a $200 better lens for me.

I am, primarily, a portrait shooter. So I don't obsess over extreme corner sharpness as much as center sharpness, color and bokeh. I have Sigma 19 but almost never use it and actually just put it on CL - I rarely use that FL and when I do I have the more flexible 18-105 and 18-55, no reason to also take 19 with me, I don't shoot that much architecture and I could care less if the grass in the very corner of a landscape is less sharp. Now the 16mm can be turned into 12 with adapter, making it a much more interesting lens. Also, it seems that Sony colors are slightly better than Sigma, although I can't tell for sure yet. The center sharpness seems to be good, so far.

If this combo doesn't work out, I will sell it and get the Rokinon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The weather here was absolutely awful, so I didn't have much chance to shoot outdoors with this lens.

It seems OK... not great. But not bad. I will give it a chance & see if I can make it work for me.

This was shot with UWA adapter.

15816704125_4c426a1e7d_b. 20141115-DSC01570 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

BTW, a question - when you look at this photo on Flickr, can you read the tags and albums associated with it ?

• Like Like x 6
  14. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    The picture is private on Flickr

15. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    OK, thanks. I wasn't sure if the tags can be read when I share BBCode, as they contain some personal data.

16. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    • Like Like x 1