Weighing UWA Options

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, Sep 13, 2014.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I am trying to decide on which direction to take for UWA on cropped sensor. I currently do not shoot shorter than 16mm but would like to explore what new opportunities could open up for me if I started to look at things with a new perspective.

I currently have both the 16 2.8 and the 20 2.8. I use the 20 mm fairly frequently, but have hardly ever used my 16mm at all. Because I already own these, I was thinking that the VCL adapters might be a good route to go, but since I tend to be more comfortable as a zoom shooter, I began to think that the 10-18 would be a better choice.

I was thinking that if I go the zoom path then I would try to sell the 16 to help fund it. Alternatively, if I go the VCL direction, I could use them on the 16 and the 20 for quite a wide range of options.

What does everyone think?

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just an outsider looking in...food for thought:

If you buy the VCL adapters, you'll be investing even more money in single uses tied to the 16 & 20.

But it seems your "operational preference" (ultimate comfort zone) would be using the zoom.

We only go around once...so I'd say get the 10-18 you mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I agree with roundball. Unless money is a factor, I would go with the 10-18. It's better IQ wise and better for your shooting preference. I sold my 16 and VCL to invest in the Rokinon 12mm, but my main concern was IQ.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thait84

thait84 New to TalkEmount

Jul 20, 2014
    I would just get a 10-18mm. I think it is pretty useful range and it is great for vacationing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't shoot wide but if I did and was into your shoes, I'd also go for the 10-18mm - I just love the versatility of the zooms :D 

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    This is a pretty easy choice when I'm not spending my own money. Of course the 10-18mm. On the other hand when I was faced with such a choice I picked up the VCL and have been pleased with it. It s very easy to put on and off so it's ike a dual fixed point zoom. :p 

The question is why don't you use the 16mm much and is it worth the cost if you don't soot wide very often to buy the zoom?

• Like Like x 1
  7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I did settle to Samyang 12mm. I don't know if I will miss the 2 extra mm with 10-18 but I have been quite satisfied with it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Great question [emoji6]

I actually shoot in the 16-18 range quite a bit, but I am there because of the 16-70 f4 that is on the camera almost all of the time.

I do use the 20 mm a good bit, but I actually think that is because on a cropped sensor, it is a length that works with many different situations where the 16mm - as a prime - is a little more specific of a length and not as flexible.

An idea that I had was to sell all the primes that I don't get much use out of, sell some other gear I am not using that much, and try to get into the f4 zoom kit with the 10-18, 16-70, and then the 70-200. However, I have a problem with parting from my gear and the cost is prohibitive to just go out and do.

9. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    I just picked up a 16/vcl-u combo after mulling over a 10-18. It was less than one third of the price(both used).
    I am surprised and quite pleased with the performance. I love the size of the 16 and the vcl is very convenient to use or carry.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Mnhoj that I'd good to hear. I have still not made a move yet, but I would like to figure something out soon if possible! Do you have samples you wouldn't mind posting?

11. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Sure.
    Here's a sample I shot walking to the parking lot on my way home last night.
    16x9 crop. NEX6 F4.5 ISO 400 1/125
    Overall, I think it looks very promising. I'll try and shoot something of interest and in good light tomorrow.
    15524743677_0e0fe5f5f4_h. NEX6 by mnhoj, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  12. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I ended up picking the 16/2.8+UWA on CL as well. I am sure that Samyang is a better landscape lens, but not sure it's a $200 better lens for me.

I am, primarily, a portrait shooter. So I don't obsess over extreme corner sharpness as much as center sharpness, color and bokeh. I have Sigma 19 but almost never use it and actually just put it on CL - I rarely use that FL and when I do I have the more flexible 18-105 and 18-55, no reason to also take 19 with me, I don't shoot that much architecture and I could care less if the grass in the very corner of a landscape is less sharp. Now the 16mm can be turned into 12 with adapter, making it a much more interesting lens. Also, it seems that Sony colors are slightly better than Sigma, although I can't tell for sure yet. The center sharpness seems to be good, so far.

If this combo doesn't work out, I will sell it and get the Rokinon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The weather here was absolutely awful, so I didn't have much chance to shoot outdoors with this lens.

It seems OK... not great. But not bad. I will give it a chance & see if I can make it work for me.

This was shot with UWA adapter.

15816704125_4c426a1e7d_b. 20141115-DSC01570 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr

BTW, a question - when you look at this photo on Flickr, can you read the tags and albums associated with it ?

• Like Like x 6
  14. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    The picture is private on Flickr

15. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    OK, thanks. I wasn't sure if the tags can be read when I share BBCode, as they contain some personal data.

16. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.