1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Weekend sucked badly

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TonyTurley, Jan 20, 2015.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I know some of you have pets you've lost. Our cat Gerta passed away in my arms on the way to the vet yesterday morning. We'd known for a while she was slipping, but vet visits and her healthy appetite indicated she was a typical geriatric cat. She even still loved to play from time to time. However, she was very lethargic Sunday evening, and we planned to take her to the vet as soon as the office opened Monday. I woke Monday to her frantic cries, to find her sprawled on her favorite pillow, unable to move anything except her head. I gently carried her to the couch, where I placed her on a comforter on my lap, and covered all but her head with a soft towel. The emergency vet was already closed, and our vet wouldn't open for almost 2 more hours. All I could do was stroke her fur softly and talk to her. And cry. Pray, and cry some more. At least she seemed to be calmed somewhat by my holding her.

Gerta was a rescue cat who'd been abused before we took her in. She chose us. We were actually looking at a younger, more rambunctious cat when Gerta reached through the bars of her cage, pulled some strands of my daughter's hair inside, and playfully began to chew on it. That was enough to get us to open the door and pick her up, and the rest is history. She was the sweetest, most loving cat. Didn't like being held too long, but would follow us all over, and often ambushed us by jumping on the back of our chair or couch and giving us kisses on the back of the head. I am grateful we were there for her and she didn't die alone and afraid. She is the third cat we've buried in the last 10 years, and it has never gotten easier. RIP, my sweet Gerta.

Tony

Gerta_zpsa51a9c71.

• Like Like x 12
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    From one cat lover to another. My heart goes out to you. My dad's a vet. So all of our cats have died like this. Right in our arms. Im Fortunate enough to not have to watch any of them truly struggle. She is a beautiful cat. I hope posting this gives you some form of closure. I enjoyed your story. My condolences.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Ah, she was a beauty. My wife and I have outlived three dogs now, and our little dog is now sixteen. So we know what's coming. But it's never easy. And they leave a hole in our hearts.

4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Tony,

My heart goes out to you and your family. Losing a cherished pet or companion animal is, to me, like losing a family member. A beloved pet IS family.
    I'm so sorry for your loss but heartened that you were there for her throughout her life.

My best wishes,
    Steve

5. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    My heart goes out to you. Last year we went through a span of 30 days where we lost both of our dogs Roscoe and Harley to age. It's such a difficult thing to go through. It's funny that you mention how Gerta chose you. About about a month after we said goodbye to the my son and I found Milo at the local shelter. He chose us and now spends his days patrolling the house and generally doing things that dogs do. We call him joy machine not only for his unbridled sense of play but also for the joy he brought back into our lives after such a dark time.

Geta looks like she was a real sweetie.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    My condolences for your lost of a cherished companion and loved member of your family. There are more than pets. I feel your pain. My cat, who also chose me as her's....was taken from me purposely to spite me in a divorce. I lost everything in that divorce....but I miss my cat the most. Things are replaceable.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    My condolences Tony. Losing a pet and especially one that has been around for so long time and thus considered family is painful - I know first hand.
    R.I.P. Gerta

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Sorry to hear that.

Hope your week goes better.

9. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    It's been many years since I had a cat (we just have a little dog now), but my first was a stunning siamese called Rani, she will always be special.
    I was only a kid, and a passer by found her in the street having been hit by a car and was knocking on doors, cat in arms, to find the owner. They were reaching the point of giving up having tried most of the street, so we agreed to take her on to the vet.

She made a full recovery, and despite posting flyers around the neighbourhood we never found the owner, so she spent the next 10 years with us.
    It was truly a sad day when she passed and it brings a tear to my eye thinking about it as I type. She also was in my arms and went peacefully with family around her.

So sorry for your loss Tony, I feel your pain. A beautiful cat, and a fitting tribute.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Tony, sorry for your loss and thank you for a touching in memoriam. We've lost our dog half a year ago and even though I'm not really a pet person I still miss him almost every day. All the best.

11. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    So sorry to hear that Tony, hope you find solace in the fact that she didn't pass alone. MY cat was given to me when as friend of mine closed his business and the local stray that used to hang around the factory no longer had any workers to feed him, He is lovely even though his malting drives me nutz heh.

12. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    So sorry for your loss :( It is so hard to lose a pet. I hate watching my pets get older, as I know their beautiful selves do not get very long on this Earth. It's just not fair.

13. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thank you all for your kindness. I know outside of these forums we are strangers, but I wanted to share a little about this sweet kitty. The photo really does reflect her curious, loving, playful nature. I know it will get easier with time.

Tony

• Like Like x 3
  14. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Losing a pet is always difficult. They can bring so much to our lives and ask so little in return. Here's hoping Gerta's little corner of heaven is graced with slow, low flying birds and slow, fat mice. :)

15. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I am so sorry Tony. You loved her, fed her, and gave her a good home --that is the best you can do.

16. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Sorry for your loss. We have 2 cats and don't want to think about that. Our older cat, who we got it from the local shelter, doesn't like to be held much also but now she is more cuddly and coming closer to us, of course on her own terms... The smaller one raised by the older so she adopted her traits too, bad and good. Maybe you'll get another shelter cat...

17. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Jim.
    Thanks Eric.
    Thanks Serhan. We've adopted all we're going to adopt. We still have 3 cats and a dog. If they all live to normal lifespans, we'll be almost 70 when the last one passes. Of course, nothing is guaranteed. We'll just love the ones we still have and take it day by day. Unfortunately, as each one passes, the house grows a little lonelier. The sadness and pain eventually fade to the background, but there's always a sense that something isn't quite right.

Tony

• Like Like x 3
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Very sorry for your loss, Tony. I know how you are feeling.

19. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    This is the moment we pet owners dread, really sorry for you.

20. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Condolences and Empathy, Tony.
    Our black cat Inky just go run over a couple weeks ago. People keep offering us cats but i really don't want to replace her.
    I buried her about three feet down, by the next morning some hungry fox had dug her up.
    [​IMG]