Weekend Portraits

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by davect01, May 17, 2015.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    A few shots while hanging around this weekend.

A6000 and 28-70mm

Saturday we took a little hike. There is this little Apple tree along our path. The Apples don't grow more than a golf ball sized and are really bitter, but she just had to try.

_DSC4750.JPG

Further along she had to stop for a dance step or two. Forgive the blurriness, I just find it a fun moment.

_DSC4760.JPG

Sunday she looked great in this yellow dress, we had to take a few shots. Forgive the ratty hair, it was a long day.

I often have a hard time getting the exposure right with her dark skin. Either she is very dark, or the background is blown out. I should have popped the flash for some fill-in light, but we were in a bit of a hurry.

_DSC4764.JPG

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Wonder if 'spot metering' on her face might help in a situation like that...or at least center metering?

3. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Shooting dark skin is generally more challenging than pale skin but trying to shoot 'dark skin' in the 'shade' with a 'bright background' is heroically optimistic.

My personal view is that dark skin looks much better than pale skin under direct sunlight as in this photo...

aaa (1 of 1).
    Alternatively, you need to get your subject in a completely shaded area so as to avoid the contrast.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I usually have it in multi, and intend to switch it over to spot, but then often forget.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    When I shot her next to my wife who is super pastie, it brings fun challenges.

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I was going to also suggest spot/center weighted metering. Or try HDR in-camera or bracket 3-5 shots to do yourself PP-ing.
    A fill flash shot probably would have helped for the above photos.

7. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    I agree with WNG. Expose for the face and let the background blow out. When I'm taking snapshots in a similar environment I'll often leave the camera in +/-0.3 EV bracketing mode and spot meter on the face. Shooting RAW & JPG is also a good idea, since you can usually pull more dynamic range out of the RAW.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1