1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wedding Woes

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Deadbear77, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    So the wedding I am shooting is this Saturday. Getting very nervous. I'm taking my nex 6 and 5n. Trying to figure out the best setup for the church. Thinking that light won't be the greatest, but I also don't want to flash the whole time either. I really want to use the 18/200 on one body, I have no experience in printable size images, how far can I push the ISO to get usable printed 8x10?

Or would I be better off using a prime like the sel 24,35,or 50 and crop if needed.

What would yield a better photo? Crop with low ISO or higher ISO no crop?

Hmmmmm.

Please advise!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Are you the only photographer?

3. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes, it's a small wedding, church only no reception. Starting at the brides house before church, after church is outdoor park pictures.

It's my first one and I'm a bit on edge.
    She knows I'm not a "wedding photographer" but she likes my stuff.

I know I will get some good shots and maybe some great ones. I have an external flash to use if needed but I find it annoying. It's just I don't know how hard I can push these cameras iso for printing purposes.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Relax, breath.

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Oh lord, I feel for ya ;)
    I done a couple and it's tough, but knowing you I'm sure you'll do fine !! I would skip the 18-200, but I have a natural dislike of superzooms and I've never used it, maybe it is up to the task after all.
    Let's say for the sake of convenience I would mount the zoom on one body, and the 35/1.8 on the other. Zoom + one versatile prime is always a pretty safe way to go.
    Other than that, good luck !

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I'd put the zoom and the 50 1.8 on one body respectively, but also bring the 24mm lens with you for gout shots and wider indoor shots - just in case. As for ISO - you don't have to worry up to ISO 3200.

7. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    You must know that you can do this, or you wouldn't have agreed to it. Also the bride has confidence in you, so it's just normal stage-fright that you're experiencing. Dave gave you good advice - breathe!

8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Treat it like one of the concerts you shoot and you'll do great.

9. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    If you are shooting with iso 3200 you'll need to edit the photos afterwards firmly with a noise removal program.

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There's the best advice you're going to get I think. :)

11. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Yes I do think so, the problem being that all the concerts I shoot usually with legacy glass and manual focus the whole time.

I'm worried about missing the crucial shots by manual, on the other hand I have a little more faith in my manual than Sonys auto focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nah. Nobody will complain about a little bit of noise. At least I never heard somebody complaining, and I know some wedding photographers. They won't notice, and if they do, it won't bother them. As long as the shot is in focus and catches the soul of the moment, you've done a great job.

13. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    If printing less than A4 anything up to 1600 and even 3200 will be excellent. Most important advice I can give you is to be prepared and try to relax on the day. If she likes your work just do your thing. Are you bringing a nifty 50? That will get you out of most light related problems. Any questions just ask! I started off much like you, don't be too hard on yourself, you are a skilled photographer. Remember the feeling in wedding pictures is far more important than any technical aspects, if focus or exposure is off but you caught a great moment don't sweat it. good luck and think of it as a day shooting for fun and try to relax into it

14. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Thanks for the support!

My bag will contain

Sel24
    Sel35
    Sel50
    Rokinon 85 1.4
    Sel18/200
    Canon 55 1.2

16mm w/ fish and wide for outdoor shots later on.

15. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    That canon is a stunning portrait lens, you could get by with that and a wide lens. :) Be sure and introduce yourself as the "official photographer" and make small talk with everyone in between photos, you will very quickly be accepted as part of the day. And be prepared to get a bit swept up in it all, you will be the person the bride and groom spend the most time with all day! A little of the emotions will likely rub off on you.

16. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    So I just got back from the church rehearsal. The "father" was totally against picture taking. Told me that I had to stay hidden, no flash and no pictures during the vow exchange.

This is going to be a train wreck

I talked to the bride and she understands my discomfort.

I hope she is not expecting much from the church. Going with the zeiss 24 the whole time there. At least cropping ability is great with this lens.

17. Mathieu Decodts

Aug 5, 2013
    Don't panic. If you get time at the wedding before it all kicks off talk to the father and show him you can be very discrete shooting without flash. Actually fire off some shots so he can hear the lack of a loud shutter. If he changes his mind great. If not ask him to consider his daughter's wishes and how they will remember their big day when they are his age. I wouldn't shoot flash during the ceremony regardless, it can be very distracting for everyone. Pop your canon fd 55mm1.2 on and shoot hand held on auto ISO but only if you can convince the father of the bride. At the end of the day you have to respect his wishes, he's probably paying for the whole day. :eek:

18. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Lol it wasn't her father, I meant to imply the church father! And I did snap away, he still didn't care.

I'm shooting the 24mm on the 6
    And the 55 1.2 on my 5n with my evf

19. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Here is a quick one I snapped with the zeiss

OOC jpg

evygybag.
    1/80 ISO 800 f2.0