1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wedding and Portrait photography equipment recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by shaolin95, Jul 4, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello!
    So I was wondering what kind of gear I need to add to my NEX-6 and collection of manual lenses (lens turbo 2 with Canon FD lenses), etc to be able to get more professional Portraits (ie lights to prevent shadows under the eyes) etc. Like on my wedding the photographer mostly had 1 or 2 lights with stand and then some flashes he will place behind use on the floor some times.
    Thanks!

PS Looking for this for as cheap as possible of course :D

2. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    The cheapest way is with a reflector. You can accomplish a LOT with just a simple reflector. I have a ton of studio lights, about a dozen shoe mounted flashes, and all the modifiers, triggers and gizmos you could want, but often a simple reflector is all that is needed.

If you're looking to create your own light, I'd start with some YongNuo flashes, some inexpensive light stands (check out Cowboy Studio for some options in the US), and umbrella adapter to mount the flashes to the stand, a cheapie shoot through umbrella, and a cheap set of flash triggers. You could do all of that for under $125-150 if you shop carefully.

Check out the Strobist website for some great ideas on getting started.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I will look into that, thanks!

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The biggest tip a couple of pro photographers have shared with me is to have a team. One to shoot and one to set up shoots.

5. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    When we got our Canon 60D, it was mainly for portraits of my son. It's absolutely amazing to me how much money people spend on kids photos - and it's often done by someone I wouldn't call any more of a "photographer" than I am! So along with the Canon, we picked up this kit from B&H:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664444-REG/Westcott_407_Home_Studio_Lighting_Kit.html

It's worked REALLY well for us. The only complaint I have is that some of the struts in the softbox have bent a little - but I don't think it's meant to be left up 24/7. We've just left them put together for the past 6 months and have brought it all over the house. It's a great light kit, though!

-James

• Like Like x 1
  6. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for the recommendations! :)

7. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    No prob! There are certainly better light kits out there than my recommendation, but I really think it was a great value. When boxed up, it's no bigger than a VCR. If space is an issue, then it should be right up your alley! I've never had "studio lights" before, but it's a pretty good experience so far. We've been doing monthly pics of my son (he's almost 7 months) and it's super easy to get decent (and consistent) shots. (Well. . .once I was used to the camera and locked the wheel so I wasn't underexposing on jpeg only by accident!)

-James

8. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh yes, I drive a Toyota MR2 so space DOES matter! :D

9. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I drive an MR2 too (on weekends)! And my dog takes up one half of the behind seat space (she only little and has a little bed - she love being sat with her head between the 2 seats), so I only have a tiny area for stowage! Maybe I could replace the spare wheel with the dog...?