Wedding and event workflow?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RAWFA, Jun 7, 2013.

1. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Hey guys,

As many of you know photography is not what supports me, but I have been getting more and more request to cover weddings and events from time to time. I actually work as a project manager during the week and I´m not planning to quit it to become a professional photographer, but I WOULD like to protograph professionally from time to time. I did a couple of portraits for actors so far but that´s easy work under controlled circumstances....my biggest doubt is when it comes to stuff like weddings or events, where circumstances keep changing erractly. I mean, I usually shoot manually ALL the time, but I would think that in circumstances like that this would be a bit impossible. So, what do most people do? Do you guys shoot with apperture priority or something? I´m very curious.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Rafa,
    I do event work but not as much as I used to.
    First off, color vrs b&w needs to be established. Then next is how the camera does at high ISO.
    This determines what mode you can use.
    Also important is if your using flash.

I try to do M mode always. Then if I'm using flash I'll set the ISO to the job. If no flash, I'll set ISO to Auto and the upper limit is governed by the camera quality up there.
    I don't trust A mode ever because I want to be free from thinking what speed the camera is thinking about using.

My clients know what I do and that's why they call me. I do stuff for Museums, galleries, and other events. No weddings anymore or things like that.
    Years ago I used Leica M's and it was nerve racking waiting for my negs to dry.
    Now with digital.... It's a cinch.

Your a real good shooter and I don't think for a minute you'll have any problems.....
    Don

3. RAWFA

RAWFA TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 25, 2011
    Hi Don,

Many thanks for all the great tips. I´ve recently got a Canon 6D for pro work (I´ve own 3 canon primes that I was using with the NEX7...my weapon of choice for mostly everything that doesn´t require fast shooting or "showing off big gear"). I´ve been doing some tests and I´m completely blown away by it´s iso performance. It can shoot clean at 6400 and up. It also has many pro advantages over the NEX7, like setting minimum shutter speed, setting minimum and maximum iso, faster af system, etc.
    The reason I´ve said no so many times when people have asked me to cover weddings and events was that I cannot stand the traditional look people want, but I decided to start saying "Ok, this is what my style looks like. If you want me to work for you this is what you´re going to get". I would be doing this more for the fun than for the money, so I HAVE to be able to enjoy my self...otherwise I´ll feel like a sell out (nothing wrong with that for people who have to rely on this type of work to life, but in my situation it´s not the case). I may also start with friends or maybe try to go as a second photographer to learn the all the tricks and trades.

Anyway, you guys will be sure to find out pretty soon :)

4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Rawfa, I had a look at your pictures and you do have a very distinct and attractive style of photographing people. It looks very intuitive and fast so I'm sure you would do great at weddings, capturing the mood and atmosphere of the event, rather than producing the usual stiff wedding photos.

I say you already have the skill to do it. All you need is the belief and knowledge that you can. As to technique, use your regular one. That's the one that's producing the results for you.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Education | BH inDepth

Couldn't find the exact clip I saw this spring, but I find these video tutorials can be very informative. At very least I learn a few invaluable new Photoshop tricks.

Happy hunting...