Websites to host your pictures...whatcha using?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Nubster, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I want to get a website to host, show, and offer for sale, some of my photos. I've been looking at Smugmug, which I use for printing, zenfolio, Flickr, or just creating my own site. I'm not sure if you can sell from Flickr, I have looked into it that much yet. I like the idea of Smugmug, you can purcahse and they do the printing and shipping...and do a pretty good job of it too. I can create a pretty basic site on my own, I've done it before, but not sure if I want to deal with all that. The price would be about the same to do that as it would be to go with the Smugmug site. I have 3 months free of zenfolio, so I might try that before deciding.

I just wanted to see what others where doing and if you don't mind, maybe throw up a link to your site if it's not already in your signature. Of course if you don't want to do that, that's cool too. I'm just curious who's using what and why, and what do you like/dislike about it. Thanks.

2. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    For pure posting via links and storage, I use Fotothing. I upgraded to Pro for 5$ a month because I gives me illimited upload capacity. The free service lets you upload 10 pics per 24H. I've been using Fotothing for many years and have had no issues with it.

3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I use Fotki and have done for the past 8 years,I also have pro accounts with flickr and photobucket, I have also started using cloud (dropbox) and I'm in the process of transferring all my favourite stuff to dropbox.

no dislikes about Fotki,after 8 yrs I'm pretty used to it and it is great for sharing, as are flikr and photobucket, dropbox is fairly recent so I can't really give a comment on that, but great for sending photos to friends and families ,the downside they need to become members too.
    as for fotki/flickr and photobucket, anybody can look at them, and you can password the folders with children, etc in them ( if you wish )and only the people with the password can access that folder,just send your friends/family the link and password for that folder, every folder can have a different password.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I have Zenfolio and Flickr Pro accounts. I used to have a Smugmug account and I dropped it because I liked the presentation better in Zenfolio but it's a good service as well.

5. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    I use SmugMug for my website photography by olli. I used to have a Pro account with all the bells and whistles for selling but in reality I wasn't selling anything directly so I changed to one of the other cheaper packages which still lets me print for my own use at cost.

They've been promising a major makeover and update for a while now but there's no news on when that will happen. In the meantime I find the default layouts serviceable and there is plenty of scope for customisation. There is also a good support community with ready made customisations and plenty of help and advice when you need it.

I tried Zenfolio when I switched to the cheaper SM package and while there were some things I liked about it (the marginally less stupid name for a start) I didn't get the impression it was offering me anything more than SM and certainly not anything to justify starting over.

500px also offer a selling option with one of their packages but it's a lot less flexible than what you get with SM or Zenfolio.

6. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    That's all good info. I'll look into some of the suggestions. I am thinking that SM or Zen will be the way to go. I really want the option to sell, the easier the better. I don't really expect to sell much if anything really, but I do plan to enter some shows this year and I figure that have some business cards with a legitimate site for people to go to and look at my other pictures might prompt a few sales. I've sold a couple in the past, came close to selling at a show I did last year, and have some stuff hanging in a local cafe but not for sale, so I am just hoping to get my name out there a little and drum up a few sales, if nothing else, enough to cover the yearly cost of one of these websites.