Waxing Moon

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Narenek, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Narenek

Narenek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    Taken with my nex 6 through an ED80 Triplet telescope. It's a stack of about 35 shots with Saturation boosted quite a bit to bring on the different colours.
    • Like Like x 13
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Yes! Remarkable detail.
  4. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Forgive my ignorance, I looked up "stacking" and read an article on focus stacking which gave me some background. Why 35 shots and what adjustments did you make on each to produce your final result?

5. Narenek

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    It's very similar to focus stacking. because the atmosphere is turbulent you find that it smears/smudges the view in certain parts.. so in one shot an area will be clear and in focus but another area looks slightly out, and in the next shot it's the other way round. Stacking programs like registax look at your shots and use the best area's to build up a complete shot which is as clear as possible. You can then sharpen a bit using wavelets (deconvolution) to bring out the details. This method also brings out the contrast and reduces noise by increasing the signal to noise ratio.

Reason for 35 shots is just because thats how many shots i had that i could stack together without the moons movement causing a double exposure effect. It's really just a random number but the more shots you can stack the better the shot looks in the end
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Mix

Mix TalkEmount Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Fantastic work! :D
  7. Damovich

Damovich TalkEmount Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Its a beautifull piece of artwork, love the details/colors though I wish the provided sample was somewhat of a bigger crop to be able to see it even more up close.

Focus-stacking stems from Macrophotography right ?
  8. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Great shot(s)! Thanks for sharing that. I may have to try the stacking method myself. Does Registax work with a Mac or is it PC-only?

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad
  9. Narenek

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    I think registax is PC only unfortunately, not 100% sure though
  10. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Makes me think of the concept of AMB in my NEX7 (anti-motion blur)...its a fixed design of a 6 shot rapid fire burst...works amazingly well when shooting wildlife in low light.