1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Waterfalls

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WestOkid, Aug 4, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Over the last month, I have been waterfall hunting. We don't have the best spots in NJ, so it takes a bit of imagination to make them photographic. I think these are respectable so I hope you guys enjoy. And let me know if you have some ideas.

Great Falls of the Passaic
    14645032490_0a002d0fc7_b. Power - Beauty - Drama by iShootPics (westOkid), on Flickr

14754681546_3aa0c261d5_c. Great Falls by iShootPics (westOkid), on Flickr

Dingmans Falls
    14844569883_f9030bdacb_c. Dingmans Falls (Middle) by iShootPics (westOkid), on Flickr

14625817938_50642e2be4_c. Dingmans Falls (upper) by iShootPics (westOkid), on Flickr

Hemlock Falls

Hemlock Falls by iShootPics (westOkid), on Flickr

• Like Like x 14
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Looks to me like NJ has some pretty good waterfalls based on your superb shots!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Very nice, makes me want to drive to the gorge (on my time, not for work) and shoot the waterfalls again. There's some I haven't hit yet.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Steve. Digmans is actually just outside NJ in PA, but I guess I shouldn't complain. :)

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Those are some awesome photos Gary!!! :thumbup:
    We don't have waterfalls here :(

6. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Those are some nice shots, Gary.

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  7. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Tony, Nick. Much appreciated.

I will be going back to some of these sites during the fall and spring, when I hear they are much different. Like many nature shots, I have learned those seasons are the best times for waterfalls in the US northeast. They have more flow due to rainfall and the colors of the surrounding foliage is more vibrant.

Here's a far off shot of the last waterfall just to show how little it had going on. the top part was so thin you couldn't even see the water with a 1 second exposure. I had to really think about how to make it work with what initially looked like flow from a garden hose. I decided to eliminate the top, place the tripod and myself into the pool and frame the bottom section creating an illusion of a bigger more powerful fall (I guess it worked because Roundball asked if was 25'-30' in another post :)). I played with several exposure times and went home with my wet feet to work in post. In post, I had to deal with a lot of dry areas which create a terrible contrast to the wet areas. In the end, I am actually pleased. I have good shots and learned so much. I have a greater appreciation for those special waterfall shots I see people create. You don't just walk up, snap the shutter and let the scene take care of itself.

I just want to see what I can do when there's more water.

Just Relax 2 (HBM) by iShootPics (westOkid), on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    No complaints here.

Some lovely falls.

• Like Like x 1
  9. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Silky smooth water on waterfalls always look cool and these are nicely composed. I have a number of beautiful waterfalls near me here in the Blue Mountains but with little rain of late they don't have a lot of flow right now. Hopeing for some rain late in the year.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Wow, I too thought you were dealing with a much larger falls on that one. Fantastic use of perspective there... a great example of a Photographer making more out of the scene than is there at first glance. That's all you!

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

• Like Like x 1
  11. garethwi

garethwi TalkEmount Regular

Sep 2, 2011
    Netherlands
    Gareth
    Great Shots! I really missed a good waterfall on my holiday.

• Like Like x 1