• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Waterfalls

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice break from the typical long exposure waterfall shots. I think this better captures the power of the water.
Thanks. I think the choice of long exposure or not is not just preference. It also depends on what you are trying to create in your image.
Agree...speaking only for myself...I can't help but appreciate the technical achievement of the various LE types...but its hard to beat the natural environment.
In my case. It is a case by case basis. The problem with choosing one over the other is that the scene is what matters and no 2 are the same. A waterfall is in motion, that is what nature is giving us not frozen water. A long exposure often is more representative of the actual scene than a still. Even in my shot at 1/200 it is in essence a long exposure because the water was so powerful and fast. If I shot at 1/1000, 1/3000 or higher, it would have looked totally different. It would have frozen the water robbing it of the motion that creates the power. In other cases, the scene isn't about power. Many times Nature presents the fall in the form of a calming water pattern. A long-exposure expresses that type of scene best. If you freeze the water too much it has edges, hardly calming and not representing reality.

So my point is to not get caught up with forcing one technique or another, but use the technique which allows you to present the scene in the way you want it conveyed or remembered.

Last edited:

riskinstrument

TalkEmount Regular
Another one from Canada, taken from the train.
   ---            

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
A few from today's trip to the Upper Purgatory Falls, in Mont Vernon, New Hampshire.

All photos taken with the A6000

#1) Voigtlander 12mm/5.6

2015-07-03 - Upper Falls VL12mm
by DBMiller1961, on Flickr

Stitched panorama using photos from the VL12

Upper Falls Panorama 1080p

And finally, a long exposure using a 10-stop ND filter and the Sigma 19mm. Image is rotated and cropped because I forgot my tripod and had to use a rock.

2015-07-03 - Upper Falls

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Fifteen shot stack since I didn't have my ND filter with me.

Chittenango Falls, Cazenovia, New York.

ILCE-9    E 70-180mm F2.8 A056    70mm    f/8.0    1/160s    ISO 100

Top Bottom