1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Waterfall and coast - NEX-C3 / Samyang 8MM F/2.8

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by markoneswift, Aug 4, 2013.

1. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi there everyone, just wanted to share a few examples of my first weekend shooting with the Samyang 8MM F/2.8 fisheye. It is every bit as good as all the reviews online and then some. I'm really excited about the possibilities with the lens, here's a few quick RAW edits for you :-

bridal1. bridal6. bridal11. bridal16.

• Like Like x 1
  2. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Here's a few of the coast too :-

raglan3. raglan5. raglan7.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Although not a big fan of fisheye shots myself, I think those turned out very good - well done ;)

4. Very nice!

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    gorgeous looking place

6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Looks great. Are most de-fished?

One small suggestion when posting, is to include an empty line between images - gives some breathing room.

7. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Excellent tip, thanks for that. I did wonder why the pics had appeared all 'joined together' lol. I normally link from Flickr but these we direct uploads so that's probably why I didn't realise about spacing. None of these are de-fished, although I do have the Image Trends Fisheye-Hemi for Photoshop. The shots here are all just edited from RAW with alterations to correct exposure and boost saturation a little bit. They are not cropped at all.

8. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Nice shots!! (Except for third with waterfall, it is overprocessed, rock doesn´t look naturally...),
    Distortions are very low with this fisheye, as eno789 said, looks like de-fisheyed..

9. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    thanks, I just realised the third waterfall shot wasn't taken with the Samyang at all ! my mistake. I'm trying to be careful about placing objects in most of the shots to avoid too much obvious distortion unless I really want that look. I will post some defished examples soon of some architecture shots so you can see the difference.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Never knew it's possible to take meaningful pics with a fisheye. Very nice!

11. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Thanks Ad, I'm glad everyone seems to like them. I was really uncertain about using the Samyang as my only lens for this trip but I wanted to get an idea of what it can and cannot do. I'd read quite a bit about how people use it for portraits and group shots ( the creator of the Fisheye-Hemi appararently shoots weddings with a fisheye ) so I thought I would try it out. I stuck to the idea of keeping the horizon level and avoiding strong lines in the landscape shots and for the close shots of my nephew I was actually much closer than it appears. I took some architecture shots around Auckland yesterday and I tried the Fisheye-Hemi plugin which does seem to do a good job - I'll post some pre and post examples later.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Rock that C3! :smile:

13. Nagenk

Nagenk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 16, 2013
    Samyang/Rokinon 8mm F2.8 is a wonderful piece of lens. Samyang claims to have implemented Stereographic projection for this lens. If composed carefully this lens can act as a wonderful UWA lens for NEX.

14. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    *rocks the C3* lol

15. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    Yes it can mate, I need to learn how to compose really carefully for the lens but after my test shots I'm really happy with it

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I don't know if the C3 has it or not, but I find that turning on the diagonal lines for the LCD really helps square things up with the fisheye.

17. markoneswift

Oct 17, 2012
    I'm not sure Jim, I do have the grid lines enabled though. I will check on the diagonal feature