water damage - a tentative miracle?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Jen Watson, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Jen Watson

Jen Watson New to TalkEmount

Apr 30, 2013
    As a nice compromise between taking decent photographs and not being weighed down by 15 lbs of gear, I bought a NEX-3N for summer travels. It performed great--up until I fell into a river. At least five or so minutes had elapsed between complete submersion in grimy river water, and being able to remove the battery pack. It was making some pretty awful noises before I pulled the battery out, and you could clearly see droplets of water on the inner glass of the lens.

I was stuck on an island, so the best I could do was stick it in a bag of rice for a couple weeks (which probably did a fair bit of damage on its own). I just got home yesterday, and tested out the camera. Guess what? It worked perfectly! I have yet to thoroughly inspect the image quality, but the lens and camera are fully functional.

Is this normal? Should I not get my hopes up yet--i.e. will it be highly prone to spontaneous failure? I know for a fact that I dramatically shortened the 16-50mm kit lens' life--it'll only be a matter of time before fungus and whatnot will get the better of it. But does the camera body stand a solid chance? Do you think I can proceed to use the camera like normal?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Wow. Impressed that the camera recovered from this.

I would take at least the lens into to a shop right away to try and clean out any fungus.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'd use it until it quits working. Sadly, it'll be less expensive to replace it than to fix it. But, the burning question is- did you go buy a Lotto ticket after it fired up? ;)

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    My F3 auto focus died of a small spill, so you're lucky. I am now using it exclusively with MF lenses.

I don't think fresh water is as corrosive as ocean water. I don't know if attempting to clean the internals would do more harm than good. I would just use it as is, if it works for another year our two you just upgrade it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I agree. Unfortunately the repair costs are often quite expensive compared to the cost of the equipment. However, it does not hurt to get an estimate.