Wasabi replacement batteries for Sony cameras

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by roundball, Nov 17, 2017.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    For what its worth, I bought a Wasabi battery for an NEX7 in September 2013.
    Just this week I've notice it is no longer holding a charge like it normally does.
    Moved it into another NEX7 to ensure it was the battery and it is.

4 years & 2 months of constant use / charging of a $12 battery is incredible.
    Sony's current price is $60 for their battery.

Just ordered a couple Wasabi from Amazon, $11.99 each...

• Like Like x 2
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Just to add to their good reputation, a couple of years ago one of their batteries started to swell, and almost got stuck in my old A7. But when I contacted them, they sent me two free replacement batteries, which seem to hold a charge a bit better than my Sony batteries do too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    I've had mixed experience with them. In one case I purchased a two-pack (with the small charger); one of the batteries did not work at all in either of my camera bodies, I got a message that it was an "incorrect battery" or something like that. The second battery works fine. I did not think it worth my time to get a refund.

I also have a Watson battery from B&H, that works fine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    My pair of new Wasabi batteries arrived today...will charge them both through the night then test them both tomorrow.

Unless / until I'm proven wrong, I'm convinced Wasabi makes the batteries for Sony...they are absolutely identical...design, fit, finish, color, etc...just have Wasabi stick-on labels on the back instead of a Sony label.
    Which also ties in with the situation that no way Sony went out and set up an entire separate "battery manufacturing company" from scratch just to make batteries for their cameras...that just happen to be identical to batteries made by Wasabi.
    :)

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Both new Wasabi batteries charged up fine.
    ( turns out they were actually right at full charge )
    Both powered up the NEX7 as they should have.
    Both still showed 100% this morning after sitting in bodies all night.

6. Kmac76

Kmac76 TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

May 3, 2016
    New Jersey
    I have used Wasabi batteries/chargers in Sony, Canon and I think my GoPro cameras ove the years and have never had a problem... for the price, it’s a no-brainer

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

May 21, 2016
    randy
    I've used the Wasabi batteries in my Olympus cameras and now use them in the A7II. I have never had an issue with them and they are generally on par with OEM but from my experience, they tend to exhaust slightly faster than OEM batteries, for me. Also, in terms of the FW50 for the A7, the mAh/Wh rating is different than the OEM batts; Wasabi says 1300 mAh/ 9.4Wh while Sony is 1020 mAh/7.3 Wh.

There's also some question on 100% compatibility with third-party batteries. Obviously, the manufacturer would never recommend (or condone for that matter) the use of non-OEM accessories, but I remember reading that in some cases, while the battery technically worked, the camera could not accurately detect the current status/capacity of the battery. Don't remember where I read this or if this was specific to camera/manufacturer... or, if it's even "a thing" at all. I mean, a battery is a battery; as long as all the contacts line up and provides power to the body, what else would differentiate the batteries besides the obvious power ratings? Some type of communicating firmware on the battery itself? I suppose that could be why the Wasabi batteries are slightly higher rated; if the body can accurately monitor the state of the battery, it can make better use of some power saving logic built into the firmware.

Ok, enough rambling. Bottom line; Wasabi, good enough for government work (tm).

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Good Li-Ion batteries have circuitry within them for thermal, polarity and charging management. Depending on how well these are reverse engineered, there can be slight differences and incompatibility. The type of cells inside are also not necessarily the same as those used by the OEM. And cell quality varies. Samsung and Panasonic have some of the best reputations and power densities.
    A lot of the higher ratings are just marketing. That's why more often than not, the OEM battery runs longer and last a few years more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. lamontcranston

lamontcranston TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 18, 2017
    I use Wasabi batteries and chargers in Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, and Canon cameras with no problems. Their Customer Service is excellent if you ever need to use them. They are highly recommended on all of the photography forums I frequent.

10. johnson4096

johnson4096 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2016
    Dan Johnson
    Tried a Ray-O-Vac battery for my NEX and it was not worth the money. The Wasabi I replaced it with is much longer lasting and 1/3 the price. I now keep the Ray-O-Vac for dire emergencies - like forgetting to bring enough batteries.

I have found that the biggest battery eater with the mirrorless is "chimping." Start chimping and battery life takes a huge dump. Course, when I'm doing a shoot I don't chimp but I have a bad habit of doing it when I'm shooting flowers and other casual work.