1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wanted: Rokkor lens suggestions??

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WT21, Jun 6, 2014.

1. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I have an MD Rokkor-X 45/2 for my NEX6, and in terms of output, I just completely adore it. I have a glassless adapter, and a speed booster, so it double-duties as a "normal" and a short portrait lens.

I'd like to get a bit more reach from time to time, though, so I'm wondering if other Rokkor lenses are as sharp and marvelous as the MD45/2.

Specifically, any experience with the MD 85/2 or MD 100/2.5? Or is there another fantastic Rokkor that I'm missing?

• Like Like x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have that one and love it as well, however it seems to be one of those hit and miss lenses.

The Rokkor line usually ment a high quality lens, but there again you have highs and lows.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Surprisingly enough I have both. The 85/2 is alright on the A7, even wide-open it's useable, though I've never really warmed to it. I'm much more enthusiastic about the 100/2.5, it's fantastic at f/5.6 and f/8, very detailed images across the frame. The images show a sort of delicacy that no other lens seems to produce. At f/4 it's still very good, wide-open it's visibly less sharp but still useable. I'm not very experienced with portraiture, on the few occasions I used the 85/2 for indoor portraits my keeper percentage was low: the depth-of-field is so small that even a few cm's of movement of either me or the subject produces a misfocussed shot. If I'd really wanted to do this kind of work more, I'd get an autofocus lens and/or practice a lot more

• Like Like x 2
  4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that portraiture, narrow dof and autofocus isn't good combination as focus plane will never be where I want it. I will be experimenting with moving the camera (about 5 cm) and shooting in continuous mode. Focus bracketing with autofocus lenses would be really handy in portraiture and macro work, btw..

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Nice tip, I'll try that this afternoon when my kids come over :).

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It seems that I will have free morning tomorrow and I will try to take some macro images with that technique. I have collected something like 20 lenses during last 4 months too and these need testing too, have to prioritise. Fortunately next weekend seems to be completely free at the moment.