• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Want to use a fog machine but unfinished basement has no ventilation...bad idea? :D

GabrielPhoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Hi Guys!
So I want to get one of those cheap walmart fog machines just to put some fog for some photos but I am concerned that since my basement has no windows (unfinished) and the only real escape for the fog is the door going upstairs, if this will be a problem at all.
I read that these are water based but still want to make sure I will be fine. I have a projector and other HT gear on the room next to where my photography gear is just in case that matters.
Thanks!!!!

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
You're going to be raising the relative humidity in the basement by adding the fog.
I'd be worried about condensation forming on the cool metal surfaces, be they on the walls, gear or whatever else may be in there.

When we would move satellites around the factory we'd always have to check the RH to make sure we didn't condense moisture inside the satellite because of a change in environment, ie moving from room to room in the factory. This precaution was taken even though the factory was a controlled environment, ie air conditioned and in some cases a clean room environment.

If it was my basement, I wouldn't be doing it since it doesn't have any ventilation.
YMMV.

As an alternative, would dry ice work?

GabrielPhoto

TalkEmount Top Veteran
You're going to be raising the relative humidity in the basement by adding the fog.
I'd be worried about condensation forming on the cool metal surfaces, be they on the walls, gear or whatever else may be in there.

When we would move satellites around the factory we'd always have to check the RH to make sure we didn't condense moisture inside the satellite because of a change in environment, ie moving from room to room in the factory. This precaution was taken even though the factory was a controlled environment, ie air conditioned and in some cases a clean room environment.

If it was my basement, I wouldn't be doing it since it doesn't have any ventilation.
YMMV.

As an alternative, would dry ice work?
Makes sense. Thinking about it, I got a portable 5 x 7' backdrop coming next week so I can just move it upstairs when I want to do fog so I can get rid of it quickly.
Thanks for the comment!

Latest threads

Top Bottom