1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Want to jump into Nex system

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by elandel, Mar 7, 2012.

1. elandel

elandel TalkEmount Regular

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Hi all.

This is my first post, I'm a newbee here and also on Nex systems.

I'm a m4/3 user with discrete investment in the system but want to try the Nex mainly because of legacy glasses I'm not confortable to use with m4/3 due to sight problems.
    The focus peaking should be the solution to my problems, at least I hope.

Now what can I buy? I started thinking about a used Nex 3, then I saw and read about 5N (could be the one for me); but fell in love with the Nex 7 body - too expensive for me yet.

So....I don't really know. I've just sold an E-pl2 for 300 euros so I have some money (don't want to spend much without selling something:D already drained wy wallet with cameras - is it GAS?) and may give in G3 to take 5n. Will remain with Ep2 and E-pl3.
    Is it a good idea?

5n for its high ISO performance and IQ, but how are the OOC jpegs? I don't make PP.
    Ep2 (love it) and E-pl3 blazing fast AF and IQ straight OOC.

Could use my many legacy lenses with 5n and shoot interiors - churches - museams ecc.

I read somewhere that there is an adapter for 4/3 and m4/3 lens: has anybody used or tried one on Nex?

I also read there is an announcement for the new Nex 3 and 5n; have you more news and maybe it will be sage to whait for these so 5n will drop;)
    Thanks for now.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome elandel

The 5n would be a good move imo, it's every bit as good as the NEX-7 (with some opinions stating its better) without the hefty price tag, it's perfect if your in a budget. The focus peaking feature makes manual focusing a breeze and will be especially helpful for folks with sight issues, but the beauty of the 5n is that other than being able to use focus peaking you can also use an electronic viewfinder (through a separate purchase).

You can also play the waiting game, Sony is planning to announce new NEX items in late April, The successor to the C3, new e-mount lenses (from Sonyalpharumours) maybe, that is if you can wait until late April.

Regarding your query about using M4/3 on the NEX, personally I have not tried it, but it does exist, here is a listing in eBay regarding this adapter, I'm guessing this will be good to have if you have a nice collection of M4/3 lenses you want to use on the NEX.

3. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thanks Phoenix.

I think I just don't want to go below the 5n's IQ and Iso performance and I'm very tempted by the 7 but then I ask myself if I really need it. I'm also planning to kee my m4/3 cameras: Ep2 and Epl3 even because I have the m9-18 I love and take panoramas with.

So it's a challenge for my Gas rational thinking but as you state maybe the 5n is the best for me now: tomorrow is another day.
    I have one question: do you use the 18-200 Sony or Tamron version? Is it a good all-round lens like the 14-150 Olympus?
    What kit to buy: 16 or 18-55?
    I also havea DSLR background which I left for the same reasons most of us migrate to mirrorless.

4. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hmmm..To be honest I would be the worst person to answer this :p as I don't use the any NEX's kit lenses and I use 3rd party and legacy lenses exclusively. I guess the simple answer would be, what do you prefer to shoot? Zoom or Prime?

5. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Well I prefer zoom but I'm planning to use my 20 and more Primes on this one to regain fun in shooting with legacy lenses I have.

6. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I would personally use the 16mm prime over the 18-55mm zoom as I prefer primes, although this is a focal length I feel totally out of place with as I find it too wide for my liking. However if you have a look at our forums for some of the photographs streetshooter has taken you will get a fair idea what the 16mm can do, you can find his images in this thread.

7. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I don't think the 'old' NEX 3 & 5 are still made or available new,...however, when the new announcement is made at end April the NEX C3 & 5N are likely to be heavily discounted making them excellent buys. This is what I did with my NEX 3,..ie waited for C3 to be announced and then bought new for half the launch price.

All the NEX's return excellent image quality, even with large prints, provided you use a well thought out workflow/method. I would strongly urge you to aquire the 18-55mm 'kit' zoom because, contrary to some of the stuff you read on the web it is excellent for general photography, and even for serious application with care. With this lens the 'package' is about as small as it gets since the kit lens offers all the usual focal lengths for general work, and has anti-movement stabilisation for low light use. Personally, I ONLY use this lens on f8 (or varey rarely f5.6) and get excellent image quality with corner to corner sharpness and no 'texture' in large prints. For other focal lengths or larger/smaller apertures I use old SLR lenses via inexpensive adaptor.

For use with M4/3 lenses, the first thing that comes to mind is that the NEX (APS-C) sensor is 50% larger in area than the M4/3 sensor so will the lenses cover the larger sensor?.......I don't know.

I do know that the NEX 3 is a serious image system with careful use, and in prints at least up to 20x16 inches. I have not yet printed larger than this but may do so soon. Here is a shot with the 'kit' zoom at f8/800iso that looked simply stunning printed 20x16 for an exhibition, quality is 'close' to my medium format film prints;

brassy.

8. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    I'm an m4/3 user too. The native pany / Oly lenses will vignette, will not
    have an electrical connection to control aperture or even focus. Any manual
    lenses (even m4/3) will operate but again, the m4/3 will vignette. I will have
    two bodies and my plan is to use the legacy glass on the NEX 7 and keep
    using my zooms on the Pany g1 or OMD replacement.

9. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1
    I 100% agree! :)

The 18-55 kit zoom is a quality lens and imho doesn't deserve to be tagged as 'inferior or cheap' just because Sony called it a "kit" lens.

The 18-200 might be the more versatile but its larger size could be situationally cumbersome.

I personally love the SEL16mm which is why I bought the 5N as a twin lens kit with 16mm and 18-55mm. Had I known that many NEX owners are getting rid of their 16mm pancakes for cheap, I should've bought the 5N with 18-55 zoom and then sourced a pre-owned 16mm later (my 2 cents).

10. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    Thats a good idea even if here not many 16mm around, butwith some patience something can come out.

11. elandel

Mar 7, 2012
    Milan
    That was also my thinking that they would vignette. Well then I'll have to keep at least one m4/3 body for my m4/3 lens. But may I ask one question? Is it not too xpensive to buy the Nex 7 only for use with legacy lens? Shouldn'i the 5n do the same job? Or is therre another reason?

12. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Great image, btw! Thanks for sharing that, Bugleone.

13. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    The NEX7 is actually a very cheap camera if it's going to be used for high end commercial applications.

If you can afford it, buy the NEX7. It has a built-in EVF, a hot-shoe, and other terminals useful in studio flash systems... plus dial customization.

If not, the 5N is a beaut and actually out-performs many DSLRs sensor-wise. It wasn't voted camera of the year for nothing.

You're in a win-win either way.

14. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have also both systems, but only manual lenses can be used in both systems. Sony nex is ideal for manual shooting. I haven't checked nex-7 since I have nex-5n. 5n manual magnification button is not in a place where I can push it when I am using the viewfinder. However 5n has a touch screen so I use that to magnify the area then look at the viewfinder. Other nex-5n advantage is the performance with wide angle lenses, mostly wide rangefinder lenses / 16mm has problems with nex-7. Nex-7 has a better body and ergonomics, esp with bigger lenses. 24MP output is very good with good lenses.

Tamron 18-200 is a good lens, comparable to Oly 14-150mm. I think both lenses has poorer edge performance at the long end of the zooms. Tamron stabilization is great and the close af distance is an advantage. It is at f/6.3 after 75mm range but the high iso is very good with nex-5n eg I can easily use iso 1600 with no noise reduction. Tamron is 100mm long vs 18-55mm is 62mm so 1.5x the size gives 10x zoom vs 3x zoom.