Want feedback from A7II owners, specially ones that upgraded from Nex6 or similar

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by shaolin95, May 7, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    So I might be able to finally go Full frame (not a done deal yet) so I was wondering if since it has been available for a while, I can get some feedback from users with the A7II.
    I pretty much only have manual Canon FD lenses so that is my main focus (pun not intended) but who knows, in the future I may add some native ones depending on my needs.
    In any case, of course the stabilization is key for me so I can use it for my legacy lenses which are very fast to begin with.
    One concern I have is that Sony did not improve ISO performance and it seems that other companies are able to almost match the ISO performance with even APS-C (unless the tests were not really fair). So at some point I thought on waiting for an improvement on high ISO before upgrading from my NEX6 (with Lens Turbo 2).
    Video is not crucial to me but wouldnt mind getting extra performance on video compared to the 6 as well.
    In any case, any feedback is more than welcome. :)
  2. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Why do you want to go full frame? Can you list the reasons?
  3. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Sony announcement will be in a week, 6100 IBIS might be coming too... The sensors are pretty much same in last several years. However Canikon juice the Sony sensors a little better then Sony...

IBIS is good. I highly recommend it.

Contarex CZ 85mm f2 1/13sec ISO 12800 and opened the light at least a stop or two on her face

Minolta 70-210f4 at 150mm f4 1/25sec ISO 6400
    • Like Like x 3
  4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for the sample shots! At 1/13 and then 150mm at 1/25 that is damn impressive!

As for why I want FF...not sure if I noticed some condescension on how the question was formulated but.....I think we are all familiar with the FF benefits...dynamic range, cleaner high iso...and so on....

For me the main benefits are the stabilization and the fact that I have lots of FF lenses already. While I can use them with my Lens Turbo, first I still dont quite get the full lens coverage and second, from an earlier test I did with the A7, the edges are also better on the FF than with the LT2. Of course, I can work around that with framing in some cases.
    Also the stabilization can "gain" me more stop of light in some situations. And one more benefit is, it opens up a LOT more legacy lens options for me since I can get a cheapo adapter instead of more expensive Lens Turbos for different brands. I love Canon FD ones but I wouldnt mind being able to get legacy gems from other brands.
    So I guess my only concern has been the not so big jump in ISO performance compared to other regular FF cameras. I was not expecting it to match a Canon Mark III just to be much cleaner than my Nex-6 with the Lens Turbo 2.

Thanks and keep the comments coming. :)
  5. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 3, 2012
    somewhere betwixt here and now
    Same story here, basically I'm happy with my NEX-7 but have a Fuji X-Pro1 kit with some lenses as well. While I prefer the NEX at lower ISO the Fuji downright kills it in low-light. I originally wanted to replace the NEX with the Fuji but since I shoot most of my stuff at lower ISO the NEX is still here.
    I remember a comparative shootout I've seen a while ago where an X Fuji (APS-C) held its own against a A7 in low light but since the Sonys share the same mount and CFA I might as well replace the Fuji with an A7xyz and end up with a leaner and more efficient system - same batteries, chargers, lenses, adapters, and not at last workflow. Just my 2 ...
  6. pbizarro

Nov 24, 2014
    No condescending tone was intended. Having your lenses at actual focal lengths, as intended, is a good reason, but... FF sensors can be much more demanding in terms of optical performance for legacy lenses... probably more vignetting, aberrations, etc... If you really require top high ISO performance, the A7S is the camera to go for, but no IBIS... what you say about DR, cleaner high ISO, etc, is there really a significant gain for you to go into FF?

So you really need to think carefully about your priorities...

I have the A7 and A7II, use the first one for landscape work from tripod, second one for handheld travel/documentary photography due to image stabilization. I tested the A6000 for a while, but because I really wanted a trio of traditional focal lengths (24-50-90), it did not work for me.
  7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    True but based on results from other users with the A7 and similar with those Canon lenses, I expect good results but we shall see. I am definitely not the target audience for the A7S. I cannot go back to 12MP for still shots. If I were more into video, then I will for sure get that because its amazing what it can do. In fact, when I watch some movie with bad low light noise I always tell my wife..damn I wish they would have used an A7S lol
    " DR, cleaner high ISO, etc, is there really a significant gain for you to go into FF" Yes those are indeed important to me although probably in this case the stabilization is what gets me the most excited about it...which is why I passed on the 6000 and A7 before...was waiting for a package with more features I really desired. I guess..right now it sounds pretty much like I made of my mind...and in a way, yes I did. Spent many hours today reading reviews etc and came out more into the "I want it camp" than the "not so sure" one. :)
  8. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I did the transition from a NEX-6 to an A7 when the A7 came out and I'm glad I did. Why? I cannot provide scientifically well-founded reasons for that but I'm not inclined to go back to APS-C. At all. First off, it's fun to use my legacy glass on the A7 and it works a treat, much more so than on the NEX-6. Then, I don't have to worry about dynamic range anymore. On the Panasonic G1 and GH2 that was a constant concern, with the NEX-6 occasionally in harsh lighting and now I'm confident that I and the A7 will pull it off. Then, I like the user interface on the A7; I tried an A6000 the other day but I prefer the A7 in terms of handling and user interface. I feel that a full-frame camera like the A7 is a real step-up from APS-C. And sure, that's a 100 % subjective statement. Technical arguments like ISO-performance, depth-of-field discussions don't really matter to me now that I have my own experience.

I'm not so sure if the A7M2's IBIS is a big advantage for legacy glass, especially zooms: you'll have to enter the focal length each and every time for it to function properly which is an extra hassle on top of the manual focussing and aperture setting. That said, if my A7 would break down I'd buy an A7M2 the next minute.

Wanted to give a purely subjective opinion here, as opposed to all the technical stuff that you often find in discussions about FF vs. APS-C. You can ponder about that for days and I'm glad I didn't. Does that sound like: "Simply get an A7"? You bet :).
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. dmward

dmward TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 21, 2015
    Metro Chicago
    In my view, unless one plans to make really large prints, there is no practical difference between APS-C and FF with today's sensor technology. Large prints means greater than 20x30.

Noise is more a matter of exposure than of ISO or sensor size. At least with my Fuji APS-C XT-1/XE2 and A7M2.

All that said, I like the Sony A7M2. I also like the XT-1 and XE2. "Different horses for different courses."

I originally got an A7R to use with TSE lenses. I liked it enough to get some FE lenses. Got the A7M2 for the IBIS. Will get the A7RII if it has IBIS, especially if it has even larger sensor for big prints.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for sharing your opinion although I disagree about the legacy lenses part. At least in my case, I mainly use primes and I think most of us go for prime legacy lenses, aside from gems like the Canon FD 80-200 F4 L or similar but for my collection and needs, I cant wait to try this feature :)

dmward, regarding noise and sensor size, I would have to disagree. Yes you can over expose in a way to compensate and get a cleaner image (after NR) than if you were to exposed just right but that does not work in every occasion and still, there are problems with noise that you just cant equal with a smaller sensor but of course, to each its own.
    I thank you all for the feedback :)
  12. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Just a word about ibis. IMHO it is a big deal. I have been using ibis with the A7ii, the EM1 and the EM5 before that. In my view it transforms the 35 2.8 and 55 1.8 FE lenses into much more usuable allowing slower shutter speeds at lower isos when conditions allow compared to my A7r. If you have legacy glass I think, on average, you will find ibis more useful in low light than the slightly better iso performance of the A7s.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I went from nex 5n to nex 6 to a7 to a7r to a7s ( returned the a7 and the a7s ) kept the a7r and also bought the a7ii. Every camera except the original a7 has something good to offer. I still use my 5n with optical view finder that is movable to get close to ground shots in the garden. The nex 6 with pancake 16mm for travel in pocket. The a7r for still life and landscapes. For everyday use I use the a7ii. It's the most versatile and I can use all my lenses with stabilizing features. The Pen F 38 1.8 is a match made in heaven with the a7ii. Focal length is great for intimacy. The lens has a lot of character so you really shouldn't use it for landscapes. Family shouts are fun but you have to watch the edges. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    I'm a techno-geek. So I have to get everything that's "newer and better".

Following all the marketing ploys has gotten me to spend thousands of dollars (probably needlessly).

With Nikon, I have ended a long run of cameras with a D3300 (DX) and a D800 (FF). Photo quality is beyond my ability to compare, yet one camera is $1800 more than the other, but it's full frame. Still not an $1800 difference.

If you can afford moving to FF and that's what you really want to do; then just do it. That's half the fun of all this photography stuff. But, in the end, I doubt the quality of your photos will improve all that much. (Sometimes I go out just with my pocket Lumix LX7 just to show myself it's not the camera that makes a difference.)

With all that said, the A7II is an entirely different animal (he said rationalizing). It is my favorite camera; well worth the cost; and it truly does improve my photography because I can be much more mobile without a tripod, etc. Of course it does. Right?
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  15. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    I'll comment on a few of the things that you guys have mentioned. I too am deciding between the a7 and the a7ii. To start, the pros of each from my perspective:

* Lighter Weight
    * Smaller grip fits face down in my bag better
    * $1250 with lens

* IBIS
    * Better lens mount
    * Better build
    * $1400 WITHOUT lens
    * Easier to hold
    * 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 will be VERY stabilized if I buy it LATER for $200 used

For me, I'm thinking if I get the Mark 2, I'll forgo the lens for now. The hardest thing is that I wish they had the same grip and same weight. Because of that, I'm not so sure a $500 difference will be worth it. That said I'm leaning towards the Mark 2 and planning on holding off on the kit lens.
  16. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think it is worth waiting to see what the A6000 replacement is like. I'm still in the same situation. I want better low light performance, I shoot a lot of legacy glass on APSC, but I stick to one mount and I do have a speedbooster that allows full frame field of view.

I haven't seen any indication that the same legacy glass on full frame is going to be that big a step up over APSC/speedbooster. And the FE glass is a lot more money.

I keep going back and forth though, because the A7 cameras do handle better. They definitely do have a better viewfinder than A6000. And my speedbooster is super heavy, especially on a smaller body.

It's all too hard. I'm going back to film.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. pbizarro

Nov 24, 2014
    Well, lots of decisions are purely subjective. For example, the A7II with the Zeiss ZM 50 1.5 C-Sonnar handles beautifully in Av mode and auto-iso. I like the way the whole thing just does not get into the way of my picture taking: set aperture on lens, manual focus, shoot. Same thing with my portrait lens, the Leica 90 f2.8 Tele Elmarit. There is lots of tech in the camera, but it is not intrusive, it is intuitive for manual focus.

I don't feel the same thing/haptics with the A7, but then, I use it off a tripod for landscapes.
  18. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    So, you're saying the A7ii was a better shooting experience with MF lenses than the A7? For me that's big because the only FE lens I would ever get is the 12-70 weather-sealed kit. Maybe in the future I would buy a NEX lens to use in crop mode but I'm losing the advantage of FF if I do that so I will probably stick to manual.
  19. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    It looks like finally it will be happening!
    I am having all sorts of thoughts in my head but I found one with less than 300 shutter counts and kit lens for $1400. I will sell my NEX-6 with Mitakon LT 2 of course but right now is like one minute I get all excited to do it and the next I am not so sure. Likely its going to happen of course but still I hate how my mind is always second guessing :D
  20. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    Just food for thought...speaking only for myself, after being on the planet for 69 years I've definitely learned to trust my instincts.
    IMO, based on your comments just now 'something' seems to be holding you back...if it was me, I've learned not to force it...you might consider enjoying your NEX-6 for couple months and just see how the situation unfolds...world won't come to an end if you don't get it until next month or so...or even at all